Steeplechase Is Next?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Steeplechase Is Next?

Postby passed it » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:31 pm

Probably very few have noticed the lack of Ethiopians
who compete in the steeple!! Could it be lack of facilities or coaches? Whatever it is, I am sure the Kenyans are hoping that they stay away from the event for a few more years.
passed it

Re: Steeplechase Is Next?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:08 pm

i read that they have a 5 year plan for the steeple, they also rarely compete at 1500 though gebersalassie has run 3.31 or 3.32 indoors also bekele ran a 52.7 last quarter in a 5k this year with his 5 and 10k ability, makes me wonder what he could run a 1500 in.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:57 am

to get up for a steeple or mile, the ethiopian would have to cut back a bit on epo and add HGH

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:57 am

to get up for a steeple or mile, the ethiopian would have to cut back a bit on epo and add HGH

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:00 am

Thank you so much. It was so enlightening to be able to read that profound message TWICE.

Postby Randy Treadway » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:18 am

Some other boards I'm on allow a person to delete a message they previously posted, or edit typos.
With this one, once you hit the "post" button, it's gone and unchangeable.
Any chance of T&FN upgrading their software over the winter?

(of course, it took 'em HOW many years to finally get on the internet bandwagon to begin with after fighting it tooth and nail?)
Randy Treadway

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:23 am

An automatic editing feature would be nice. Even better, however, are the old-fashioned editing functions: tact and good judgment. However, this software has not been consistently installed.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:41 am

>i read that they have a 5 year plan for the
>steeple, they also rarely compete at 1500 though
>gebersalassie has run 3.31 or 3.32 indoors also
>bekele ran a 52.7 last quarter in a 5k this year
>with his 5 and 10k ability, makes me wonder what
>he could run a 1500 in.

Yes, Geb did run 3:31. Makes you wonder what he might have done had he run the distance more. I often thought he might have been able to challenge El G a few years back. He was strong enough and still had that stinging finish. Oh well, we'll never know. I would like to see Bekele try some 15s. He apparently has speed - wouldn't hurt his 5 and 10s to run a couple good 15s for training.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:50 am

The marathon running Geb was doing was probably just enough to all Bekele to be able to outkick him in that great 10K they had (dulled his speed just a tad).

Postby Powell » Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:48 am

>Probably very few have noticed the lack of
>Ethiopians who compete in the steeple!!

I, for one, noticed it a long time ago. They have started to come through now, though - an Ethiopian did qualify for the SC final in Paris (even if he ended up DNSing). Incidentally, Eshetu Tura won the bronze in this event in the Moscow Olympics, so it's not like they can't do this event at all - it's lack of trying more than anything else, I believe.
Powell