Let's say something good about ESPN

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Let's say something good about ESPN

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:05 am

I realize how easy it is for all us track aficionados to bash ESPN, but I think they are doing a pretty good job of presenting the meet to a sports-interested ( I did not say track-interested) audience.

And at least these last 2 nights, here in Indianapolis, the whole show was repeated in prime time !

over 99 % of the potential audience, and probably over 75 % of the actual audience, is not people like us.

So as I have suggested before, just relax and enjoy, and do not be obsessed with every miniscule error that they make or Carol's dress.

As to errors, we all know that virtually every time we read a newspaper article about track, we find a factual mistake, don't we ? Yesterday, even Dick Patrick had an error in his USA today article.... he said that Sebrle won the Oly title in 2000 ! First time I have seen him make a mistake.

What scares me about finding all those errors in track articles, we are knowledgable enough to catch.... what does that say about everything else we read, not only about other sports but all the rest of the news? Not that thr readers are intentionally mislead, it's just bad editing.
6 5.5hjsteve

Re: Let's say something good about ESPN

Postby tafnut » Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:11 am

I'm ecstatic ANYTIME I get live T&F! I'll put up with almost anything if I can just see the damn events myself (not some truncated little wrap-up version). So yes, YAY, for ESPN televising the WC quasi-live! I'll run out right now and buy some Nike stuff (their main advertiser?), he said half-seriously.
tafnut

Postby rmayes » Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:12 am

Good point about the errors they make errors with other sports all the time too. It happens, many of these people (yes probably even Carol) spend as much or more time following track than many of us do. Overall ESPN's been doing a good job.
rmayes

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:29 am

OK. It's true. I watched this morning's rerun of last night's show (which I missed because for some stupid reason, it ran 2 hours BEFORE it was listed to run)...and was most impressed by what was shown: the entire steeplechase (wow!!!!), the entire men's 1500, etc. After getting used to mere snippets and glimpses of events, it seems like a godsend to actually see ALL of these races. So, it's true: compared to what we were probably expecting, ESPN2 coverage has been quite good and informative. There, I said it. Let the lightning strike me.

Postby trackstar » Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:53 am

> most impressed by what
>was shown: the entire steeplechase (wow!!!!)

Amen to that! What a great race!
trackstar

Postby tafnut » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:04 am

It WAS pretty bizarre though. If they had 100 splits times they would have differed by extraordinary amounts.
tafnut

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:07 am

The second day's show was MUCh better than the first. And while I'm still angry at missing the first couple of days for no discernable reason (really, what were they showing last weekend that was so damned important?), I do have to give ESPN props for doing pretty well when they did get it on. Showing the whole steeple, despite no American "rooting interest," was a great call and very pleasant surprise. I think they've also been helped by French feeds that seem pretty well done.

Really looking forward to this afternoon's show... this week is like a semi-vacation for me. I'll be headed out to Detroit for the weekend, so I'll get to do a first-hand comparison with the CBC coverage.

Postby RussJD » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:28 am

OK here it is:
Sometimes ESPN is not as bad as they are most of the time.
RussJD

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:32 am

I find that the repeats in the morning and night broadcasts to be boring without any additional events shown from the afternoon session. Pathetic in comprehensive content by past ESPN broadcasts. Particularly pathetic compared to the TripleCast in '92. Now THERE was true viewing nirvana. I feel somewhat entitled to make these commentaries as I have taped all the major championships going back to the '87 World Championships. So, that makes the '88,'92,'96,'00 Games and the '87,'91,'93,'95,'97,'99,'01, and now '03 WC's in my video library.

Best coverage of the Games was definitely '92. Best coverage of the WC's was probably a toss-up between '87, '93 or '95. I am basing my personal analysis on comprehensive content.

Also, when are they going to get rid of the boring Larry Rawson. I've watched him for 20 years on ESPN and he continues to amaze me by making 2-4 major gaffes per episode. The man knows next to nothing about the field events. I know. I've trained and competed in all of them. I can appreciate his attempts to relate to the general crowd out in TV-land with his quips about local running tracks. Unfortunately, he's been using the same quips for the last 20 years. Also, unfortunately, Joe Sixpack in TV-land is not watching the WC's nor does he care. The only people watching the coverage are us track nuts here in the States. Face it.

Those things aside, however, I WISH TO THANK ESPN AND THEIR SPONSORS FOR THE COVERAGE THAT WE'RE RECEIVING. I CAN LIVE WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE LIKE I CAN LIVE WITH FOODS I DON'T CARE FOR. JUST DON'T CUT US OFF COMPLETELY! I hope they'll continue to throw us scraps in the future.

Kurt

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:37 am

Kurt, there is nothing wrong with your criticisms, but remember the show is NOT put together for you( too narrow an audience), or for Joe SixPack( too wide an audience). It's put together for Joe Sports Fan. These ESPN's folks are not completely stupid, and IMHO, they have focused the presentation pretty well towards Joe Sports Fan.
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:41 am

HJSteve:

I perfectly understand what you're saying. They distinguish Joe Sportsfan from Joe Sixpack. I don't believe there's a difference. The vast majority have never competed beyond the high school level. They have no clue. They are all the same to me. Sorry if that seems cruel or unfeeling. It isn't meant to. Just my observation of the world. Everyone is entitled to that.

I hope they keep throwing me what I prefer to call "crumbs". I'll take it and try and get to the Carribean for the next Championships :)

Kurt

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:49 am

Kurt, you got my attention on that Caribbean stuff. Where are the '05 Worlds being held ?
6 5.5hjsteve