Throws return to Prefontaine Classic

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Throws return to Prefontaine Classic

Postby KEL » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:46 pm

KEL

Re: Throws return to Prefontaine Classic

Postby tlb747 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:02 pm

I wonder how these events (field) are going to be covered (on T.V.) in a short time span.
tlb747

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:07 pm

"Tickets for the 2006 Pre Classic are scheduled to go on sale in March. They will be raised by $1, the first boost in four years. The prices are as follows: reserved seat $24.50, adult general admission $18.50, seniors and students (ages 11 to 17) $14.50, child (2-10) general admission $2.50 and under age 2 free."

And to think I spent $90 bucks on 2 tix to see Billy Idol! I could get 4 tix to Pre for that amount and EVEN more thrills! More bang for the buck! I'm thrilled the wTJ has also been added. It's time for American women to catch up with the Europeans in this event. We have the talent but not the necessary other ingredients to make it happen, This will help. Bravo, TJ!
tafnut

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:12 pm

It was moved from Saturday, June 3, to avoid a conflict with the Golden League meet in Oslo, Norway. Track and field athletes can win a $1 million bonus if they win their event at all of the Golden League meets.
"If we had the Pre Classic on the same day, any Nike athlete that wanted to go for the prize money wouldn't be eligible because they would be in Eugene (instead of Oslo)," Jordan said. "This allows them to still have the opportunity to win that money."

How many athletes would really try and compete at both meets? :?
polevaultpower

Postby tlb747 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:30 pm

polevaultpower wrote:How many athletes would really try and compete at both meets? :?

The ones that have the pressures of competing from their "higher-ups" or contracts. :(
tlb747

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:00 pm

Good news!

I sure hope Alekna is on the roster. That alone will convince hubby we must go.
mojo

Postby KAP » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:44 pm

So how does the womens triple jump fit into that headline?

The javelin and hammer would be the other logical events to hold at Pre to help make up for the selection of a facility with only a single incorrect direction javelin runway (old rules benefit-new rule determent) and an outside venue hammer ring. At least give the men and women in those events some recognition and a chance to prepare in a larger competition at the trials site. They are also the events with the greatest need for American development among the field events, with the javelin only having one competitor per in Athens and Helsinki.
KAP

Postby James Fields » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:03 pm

"The Pre Classic will be held on the Sunday following the 2006 Class 4A and 3A state high school track and field championships. It was moved from Saturday, June 3"
--------
Without knowing the date of those high school championships, one must guess (which can be inaccurate) the date of 2006 Prefontaine meet. I will guess that the HS champs are May 26-27 -- making the "Pre" meet date Sunday, 28 May 2006.

I am already signed up to officiate at NCAA Division 1 Mideast Regionals in Knoxville on May 26-27, the same dates as other NCAA regionals in three other cities around USA. Past experience indicates that may be the same dates as NCAA Div. 2 and NAIA National champs.

I can't cross the nation to Eugene by May 28 for "Pre" meet, a situation I suspect affects other persons (athletes, coaches, officials, track journalists) who would like to attend the "Pre" meet. But we could get to Eugene in time for a meet one day later: Monday, May 29, the Memorial Day Holiday. Has that date possibility been considered for 2006 "Pre" meet?
James Fields

Postby big mac » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:49 am

I hope Alekna throws a bit more often in the USA, that could be what is needed to break the WR.
big mac

Postby polevaultpower » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:35 am

James Fields wrote:I am already signed up to officiate at NCAA Division 1 Mideast Regionals in Knoxville on May 26-27, the same dates as other NCAA regionals in three other cities around USA. Past experience indicates that may be the same dates as NCAA Div. 2 and NAIA National champs.

That is the same weekend as Outdoor NAIAs which will be in Fresno this year.
polevaultpower