represnting the USA

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

represnting the USA

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:42 pm

hate to break it to you but most athletes competing in the USA uniform could give two shits about "representing their country". most just want to win medals and be a world champions, and they only compete as part of team USA because it's the only way to get into championship meets. They'd probably rather compete in their shoe company's uniform! Why can't athletes compete at the worlds and olympics unattached, screw this nationalism BS

Re: represnting the USA

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:59 pm

With your attitude, why compete at all. What's wrong with patriotism? Most of the runner's I know would be honored to represent the USA. Your thread is disgusting!

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:02 pm

not-so-patriotic - to use your own vernacular - your statement is not worth two shits. Every single one of them would rather be in a USA singlet than any other. Where did you grow up, Havana?

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:12 pm

how you know that? did you ask them? there's nothing wrong with patriotism, I'm just saying that's not why most athletes choose to compete. They are trying to glorify themselves, not their country

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:14 pm

and even if they say otherwise during interviews they are probably doing so to cultivate their image for marketability purposes.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:17 pm

I hate to break it to you, pal, but track and field is largely an individual sport. Nationality is by far irrelevant in just about every event except the relays.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:59 pm

I don't think the ability to run fast,jump high has anything to do with how much you love your country. Does a Track athlete have to feel they are more patriotic than an NFL football player or NBL player. I don't think so. If you are sent as a representitive of your country as these games are, then be proud. But this sprinter is no more patriotic than the guy working at 7-11 down the street.

Postby Randy Treadway » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:06 pm

Athletes on worldwide television are on a hugely visible pedestal.
Some of them don't like that, but that's the way it is.
Basketball players who joke to each other during the national anthem, or choose to sit down and ignore it, get the exact same flak that Wayne Collet got in Munich in '72 when he twirled his medal around his finger on the awards podium and giggled cavalierly during the national anthem.

They should expect it, and not think they can live in a silo with nobody observing how they act.

One thing I don't understand- if you're on the podium with a silver or bronze and somebody ELSE's national anthem is being played, most athletes stand there still and fairly respectful.
But if they're on the TOP of the podium with the gold medal and their OWN national anthem is being played, a few Americans think it's time to cut up and basically disrespect their OWN country's national symbol. Maybe they don't intend to disrespect anything, but the difference in attitude is amazing. It's like "it's MY anthem, so I can do whatever I want"- at least it seems like that's their attitude, as if the anthem was being played for THEM rather for the country that they represent.
Big difference. Other countries don't seem to have this problem.
Randy Treadway

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:13 pm

>hate to break it to you but most athletes
>competing in the USA uniform could give two shits
>about "representing their country".

They could or they could not?

Yeah, and those Dream Teamers just do it for the paycheck and the international exposure.