Ottey didn't herself any justice

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Ottey didn't herself any justice

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:43 pm

Ottey should have left on a high and didn't bother to try and match these girls.

Re: Ottey didn't herself any justice

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:33 pm

Please stop with this nonsense. I am sick and tired of people who aren't Ottey thinking they know what's best for Ottey to do.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:35 pm

I feel she over did it

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:36 pm

ottey should have call it quits from she stopped running for jamaica she is 40++ come on now

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:06 pm

She could kick your ass any day of the week. She is still hot! I'll watch her run any time.

Postby gh » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:19 pm

Yo, people! Let me splain this to you: RUNNING IS OTTEY'S JOB. So long as she can make a comfortable living at it, she'll continue to do it.

No matter what your job, when you're mid-40s, you'll likely be doing an inferior version of it compared to what you did (or should have done) in your 20s. You fatigue more easily, you get more forgetful, etc., etc. Would you accept the judgement of a bunch of wankers on a message board that you should retire?!

While you may be entertained by pro athletes--that's a good thing--don't think for an instant that they compete for your benefit.

As an analogy, I once went to a Dennis Miller live performance and somebody in the front row leaned across and said something which must have been relatively personal (but adoring). Miller said into his mike for all to hear (and you'll pardon my French), "Hey, I'm not your friend; this is my fucking job."

Get it now?
gh

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:33 am

"Yo, people! Let me splain this to you: RUNNING IS OTTEY'S JOB. So long as she can make a comfortable living at it, she'll continue to do it.

No matter what your job, when you're mid-40s, you'll likely be doing an inferior version of it compared to what you did (or should have done) in your 20s. You fatigue more easily, you get more forgetful, etc., etc. Would you accept the judgement of a bunch of wankers on a message board that you should retire?!

While you may be entertained by pro athletes--that's a good thing--don't think for an instant that they compete for your benefit.

As an analogy, I once went to a Dennis Miller live performance and somebody in the front row leaned across and said something which must have been relatively personal (but adoring). Miller said into his mike for all to hear (and you'll pardon my French), "Hey, I'm not your friend; this is my fucking job."

Get it now?"

OK Garry, thanks for setting everybody straight. Look: I agree with you that Ottey's career decisions shouldn't be influenced by people on this message board.

But your comparison of athletic and non-athletic occupations is absurd.

Most people in white collar jobs are MUCH better at their jobs in their 40s than in their 20s; the reason for this is that they have accumulated so much more knowledge and so many more skills.

The brain is not at all like the muscles in the legs, which start to decline in the 30s.

That's why professional athletes' athletic careers are usually over by 40 (at which point they have to start new careers if they still need to work).

Running is not a typical job and should not be compared to the jobs performed by everday people. That's why the advice that Ottey should retire actually does have merit.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:41 am

Thank you, Garry Hill, for setting the record straight for the rest of these turds on these boards. From what I've observed of the trolls on the TF&N boards, it appears that the majority of people who post here are mentally handicapped and don't quite realize that at the elite level, athletics is a JOB! Had I personally had the talent to compete at that level, I'D STILL BE DOING IT if I could make a living at it! I congratulate Merlene for her continued dedication and ability to continue to compete at the elite levels. Anyone who's running sub-11.30 and sub-23 is elite. Not a world beater, but definitely elite. I'm sure that she's now competing because she still CAN and it's paying the bills and allowing her to transition into life after athletics. I've seen enough of her comments this year to know that SHE KNOWS that her days as a world beater are gone, but that she still hopes to make the semi and possibly the finals of a major championship. In case some of the idiots out there don't remember, Merlene was 4th!!!! in the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS INDOOR 60M!!!

Some of you really need to get a life out there and grow up.

Kurt

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:56 am

besides it is her job, she is setting age group records, staying in shape which most people dont do (us over 70% overweight) and also very importantly she is still having fun. so she has a good job, health and happiness, sounds good to me.

Postby michael lewis » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:44 am

There sure are alot of dumbass people on this board who think that just because Ottey isn't medalling anymore she somehow is ruining their enjoyment of the sport. Piss off alright!? When did u ever run in front of 70,000 people? Maybe it's cool. Maybe she just loves to run. And who made you God to tell her to get off the track?
michael lewis

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:47 am

Gary, following you`re logic, Einenstein should have packed it in before many of his theories were worked out.....Picasso.....Sinatra...Andrea Segovia.....Frank Lloyd Wright...FDR...my god Gary, no great Dr is even close to finishing his or her`s education until lat into there 30`s and would you want a 20 year old nuro-surgeon performing on you? And any great educator who teaches young people...and the coaches who work with these and other athletes, should they retire because they are " over 20 "...If thats the case I know an over the hill editor at track and Field News who`s ready for the old folks home.
I`m only following your logic as it`s printed for all to read as it said " no matter what your job"
And by the way..Ottey can do what she wants to do.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:00 am

Excuse, I spelled " neuro" wrong in the last post..must be time to retire , I turned 46 the other day and the minds going.

Postby michael lewis » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:11 am

I have a VERY STRONG HUNCH that you wouldn't find too many ATHLETES making these pathetic, self-righteous pronouncements about who should or should not still be competing. Reminds me alot of CRITICS who never could actually DO SOMETHING, so to fill the power void in their little lives, they play god by criticizing those who actually ARE DOING the very thing they could never do themselves.
michael lewis

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:32 am

"Gary, following you`re logic, Einenstein should have packed it in before many of his theories were worked out.....Picasso.....Sinatra...Andrea Segovia.....Frank Lloyd Wright...FDR...my god Gary, no great Dr is even close to finishing his or her`s education until lat into there 30`s and would you want a 20 year old nuro-surgeon performing on you? And any great educator who teaches young people...and the coaches who work with these and other athletes, should they retire because they are " over 20 "...If thats the case I know an over the hill editor at track and Field News who`s ready for the old folks home.
I`m only following your logic as it`s printed for all to read as it said " no matter what your job"
And by the way..Ottey can do what she wants to do."

Mike, well said. This is exactly what I was talking about in my post. Comparing athletic and non-athletic jobs is silly.