Carolina Kluft: The New Jackie!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Carolina Kluft: The New Jackie!

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:33 am

I watched the Worlds on TV in Paris on Saturday, and saw the Hep 200 meters. And now I'm looking at the final results back here in the states.

My fellow Americans (I sound like the President!). We better wake up:
1) 7001 points!!!!
2) Ms. Kluft is one powerful looking heptathlete.
3) Ms. Kluft is only 20!!!!

Eunice Barber (FRA) is trained by Bobby and Jackie. Eunice is one of the world's best Heptathletes. But I'll quote the wrestler The Rock: "It dosen't matter".

7291 (Jackie's WR) will be gone in Athens. And millions of us Americans will be watching it on TV (The Olympics--the only time we watch track). Peace.

Re: Carolina Kluft: The New Jackie!

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:37 am

She may be great, and she may even top JJK's record, but there will never be another JJK. Records are made to be broken - JJK was an athlete for the ages both on and off the track.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:44 am

>She may be great, and she may even top JJK's
>record, but there will never be another JJK.
>Records are made to be broken - JJK was an
>athlete for the ages both on and off the track.

At 20, She looks like she's having fun out there. You are right that there will never be another Jackie. But Kluft's graceful and fun deameanor on and off the track will go a long way in Europe, though not in the US. That's why I said that she may be the new Jackie.

Europe will treat her that way, though not the US. And don't be surprised to see her as the next great international track star, commanding Jackie fees on the European Grand Prix.

Postby michael lewis » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:55 am

She reminds me also of Marion Jones, the way she is built and the way she runs.
michael lewis

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:22 am

I'm not sure she can get from 7001 to 7291. JJK's didn't break 7000 until she was 24, but she split her track time with hoops in college. In contrast, Kluft has been concentrating on the heptathlon for over three years, and needed 6 PRs to get to 7001. You just can't count on continued improvement across the board just because she's only 20. I think JJK's record will stand until the decathlon is the standard women's multi-event.

That everyone is raving about a 7000-point mark tells you how good JJK was. She still has the top 6 totals ever!

That said, I think Kluft is the best thing to come down the pike in quite a while. If American media outlets were willing to pay attention to foreigners, she'd be the star that track could hang its hat on.

Postby basis » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:28 pm

Klüft was very close to achive 1.97 and 7.00 in this competition. If she done this she would have 146p more = 7147p!
basis