Mikhnevich Gold

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Mikhnevich Gold

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:14 pm

from iaaf.org:
"The Belarussian though was fortunate to be competing at all in Paris, having failed a Doping Control test at the last World Championships in Edmonton 2001, when finishing 10th. In fact he has only been eligible for competition again since 4 August."

Do I have to state the obvious here? I may say the D word, because he has already been busted. What was his incentive not to continue during the time he was on suspension? Do busted athletes get tested while on suspension as part of their punishment? Didn't he gain an advantage while he was juiced before, that has a carry-over effect? We (track) just got a black eye for his win. Notice where he was on T&FN's form chart? He wasn't. I really do feel kind of cheated here.

Mikhnevich at IAAF

Postby bushop » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:19 pm

take a look at the RING site and see what you think of a discussion on the same topic ...

http://www.web-ster.com/kcarr/dischat.html
bushop

Re: Mikhnevich at IAAF

Postby gh » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:29 pm

If Mikhnevich wasn't tested out-of-comp twice in last year, he won't get prize money from iaaf.
gh

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:00 pm

The dude didn't throw 23m. No one else even threw anything close to outstanding.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:24 pm

What is oustanding now? I have no idea. I'm starting to think Randy Matson '67 really was the greatest thrower ever.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:39 pm

Whatever way you look at it he still has to pass the drug test. Maybe he learnt his lesson or maybe he is still juiced after firing his supplier? If he fails his test Nelson(probably) will get the gold, if he passes don't say he still is juiced, maybe he actually feels deeply sorry for it. And do look at Adam nelsons after competition interview, it just shows his true sportmanship. He really has won me as a fan now. Also interesting was the fact that 2 gliders finished in the medals(Bilonog was the other one), this is surely a sign that the glide is not dead and still get the job done under pressure. Remember that the olympics have only been won twice(Barnes and Harju) by spinners and the spin has been around for nearly a quarter of a century. True, big throws mostly seem to be spins but in the pressure cooker environment of major competitions, the glide still holds true. Both indoor and outdoor world champs have been won with the glide. Do we now have a resurgence of the powerful Eastern countries using the glide? I hope so.

Postby kritter » Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:29 pm

Mikhnevich's personal web page has link to drug advise (dosages, frequency, when to stop before testing).
kritter

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:46 pm

i am sure mikhnevich is deeply sorry, that he got caught last time.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:09 am

Here's something I've wondered about . . .

Do you ahve to submit to random out-of-competition testing while you're suspended? In other words, was Mikhnevich playing by the same rules as everyone else?

And while the IAAF says they won't pay out if you didn't get the tests in, medal-winning athletes still get money from other sources (endorsements, NGBs) all the same.

Postby Hunter » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:13 am

He was tested while suspended.
I wonder how much an athlete benefits from taking drugs. Even if you get caught and stop taking them I think you would probably still reap the benefits years down the line
Hunter

Mikhnevich at IAAF

Postby bushop » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:39 pm

I knew a guy in college (mid-1980's) who said his SP went from a 53'er to a 60'er on drugs ... dropped off the juice due to the new testing ... but still improved to 67' after 4 more years ... he said he had a great strength base and was able to continue to improve without the drugs ... he was scared to death to get caught ... he also thought he would have been a 70'er if hhe had been able to stay on the juice.
bushop

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:51 pm

I'd like to see the "supplement" regime that these top thrower take. I'm sure it would be an eye opener because I don't think they are just taking multi-vitamins. John Godina, Kevin Toth, Adam Nelson or whoever, not taking drugs, well ok, lets do a documentary and follow his day to day routine throughout a year and see what he takes to be a top thrower. Why hide it? if you're that good and live that clean a life, well lets see it. prove to the world that a person can be drug free, supplement free and still throw 22 meters. Oh wait I'm sure that would "jeapordize" your "advantage" over everyone else.

The fact of the matter is, they are all taking a regime of supplements that still probably would test most people sensiblites about fair competition. And that goes for all the events.

And just because T&F has the same problem as other sports doens't give it a free pass on the drug issue.

The list of banned substances is used as a recipe of what to avoid and take everything else not banned. That is the mentality that is killing T&F.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:31 pm

What's the deal with creatine? I've heard all the bad stuff, but it's legal (yes?) and I've seen men blow up like blowfish on it. I'm talking like 4" in the chest and almost 2" in biceps. It's not all water-weight.

I.A.A.F. Shot Putting

Postby bushop » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:53 pm

Adam nelson posted this on the RING ...

nellie 15:52 PST, 03/13/2003 Diet.

Wow, there's my rant. On a slightly different note, I thought I'd take this chance to reward anyone who's still reading with an outline of what I eat during the day, including all supplements:

Meal 1
6-10 eggs
3 packs of instant oatmeal or Honey Nut Cheerios
1 or 2 pieces of fruit
Mulivitamin, zinc, vitamin c, fish oil

Meal 2
OSMO Build Mass-645 calories, 48g protein, lots of good carbs
1 or 2 pieces of fruit or a spinach salad with cashews(thanks Jud)

Meal 3
Leftovers from the night before.
Usually, 2 chicken breasts no skin or 18oz of steak or pork and a spinach salad.
Several times a week, there are no leftovers. Then, it's subway or k-bobs.

Meal 4
OSMO Cell Max Rehydration and Recovery-bunch of neat amino acids and 48g's of carbs.
1-2 pieces of fruit

Meal 5
Low carb high protein meal. Any sugars are from fruit or heavy greens.

Meal 6 (sometimes)
Marble slab ice cream(Shhh...don't tell)

Lastly, sleep is very important, but too much can be bad. Force yourself to get on a routine.
bushop