Run for Qatar

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Run for Qatar

Postby tafnut » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:07 am

Am I the only one blown away by this Cherono thing? I thought the IAAF frowned on spurious nation-swapping. Haven't others had to sit out interminable waits for citizenship, and the 'right' to represent another nation? Apparently Qatar has enough petro-dollars to 'buy' athletes. I see why Cherono jumped at it and Kenya is happy too, because he is, after all, Kenyan; so no harm no foul, as far as I'm concerned, but who's going to pop up as a Qatari (?) next? Is this mean that Qatar will soon be the NY Yankees of world track? If you pay them, they will come.
tafnut

Re: Run for Qatar

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:35 am

tafnut, I noticed the same thing a few years ago when the Saudis and Kuwaitis started having a few world class athletes. It is the same thing some of these European countries have been doing for years. They borrow? athletes from their old empire/commonwealths to try to be competitive. If they would go with their naturalized citizens you would not see as much success.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:06 am

>Apparently Qatar has enough petro-dollars to 'buy' athletes. I see why Cherono jumped at it and Kenya is happy too, because he is, after all, Kenyan; <

My guess is that the Kenya federation is tolerating this because they've received some of those petro-dollars. Otherwise, why would they cheerfully let a guy that good switch?

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:35 am

Probably no other country has as much experience with foreigners running under their flag as the good ol' USA.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:26 am

<Probably no other country has as much experience with foreigners running under their flag as the good ol' USA.
<

another ridiculous assertion. platjees is the only naturalized citizen i remember winning any world or olympic medals in the last 15 yrs. there are more americans jumping ship and going to other nations (yvonne harrison for puerto rico, dorival for haiti, kamani for panama, even felix sanchez is an american as he has lived and trained here for a long time). not to mention the numerous carribeans (especially jamaicans) who live and train here. so cut the bull jack...

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:13 pm

If living and training in a country makes you a citizen in your eyes maybe the US team should only logically consist of zero members since they all make their living in Europe...well maybe 6 members, race walkers don't make money anywhere.

Postby Powell » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:26 pm

><Probably no other country has as much experience
>with foreigners running under their flag as the
>good ol' USA.
<

another ridiculous assertion.
>platjees is the only naturalized citizen i
>remember winning any world or olympic medals in
>the last 15 yrs.

Sandra Farmer-Patrick?
Khalid Khannouchi? (OK - no medals so far, but two world bests and a few major wins)
Colleen de Reuck? (WXC medal)
I'm sure there have been one or two others
Powell

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:00 pm

Kannouchi et al didn't get paid to become US citizens.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:12 pm

Inger Miller (JAM)

Marion Jones? I know she has dual citizenship with Belize, don't know if she was born there or not.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:31 pm

>Inger Miller (JAM)

Marion Jones? I know she
>has dual citizenship with Belize, don't know if
>she was born there or not.

inger miller was born in california

Postby MJD » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:41 pm

>I'm sure there have been one or two
>others

Uh...Sydney Maree.
MJD

Postby kuha » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:46 pm

This whole Cherono-to-Qatar thing is "simply" an extreme example of professionalism. If US basketball players get paid to compete in Italy, etc., then I suppose it makes some sense for a rich back-water country to attempt to buy some international "prestige" in athletics. Given their goal of Olympic hardware, Qatar had to insist on him changing citizenship. (But WHO really gives a hoot about how many Olympic medals a country takes home? I thought that foolishness went out with the Cold War.)

What really gets me about the Cherono thing is his name change. It's not just a matter of shifting affiliations--it's a real identity change. Much too high a price to pay for a piddling $1000 (or is it $100) a month. I'd bet any competent chauffer in Qatar makes at least that much.
kuha