All The Wrong Sprinters?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

All The Wrong Sprinters?

Postby gh » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:57 pm

What do Grimes, Patton, Capel, Gatlin and Gaines have in common? All kicked ass in the Zürich 100s tonite but none are slated to run for the U.S.in Paris. Oops!

Sure hope Grimes was tested (or requested one if he didn't), so he can redeem himself on the blown PR at Pan-Ams.

Speaking of Americans: Sanya Richards looks like toast, and Krum doesn't look much better. Talked to him yesterday and he was very upbeat, said training had been going incredibley well. He started to make a nice move on the last backstretch but at about the same time the rest of hte field lifted and he was a goner. Not that he should feel badly abour tunning 1:45!
gh

Re: All The Wrong Sprinters?

Postby Donley » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:14 pm

>What do Grimes, Patton, Capel, Gatlin and Gaines
>have in common? All kicked ass in the Zürich 100s
>tonite but none are slated to run for the U.S.in
>Paris. Oops!

Speaking of sprinters not on the team what is the status of the relay teams. I know the group of 8 for the 4x100 has been named and includes Patton Capel and Gatlin. Who has showed up for the relay camps so far? I certainly hope that whatever parameters have been established for picking the group that they are in fact followed, because it is clear to me at this point that we could easily field a winning 4x100 without Greene or Montgomery in spite of the fact that the Brits will field a very strong team.
Donley

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:17 pm

Hey gh! What kind of time do you think a team like Grimes,Gatlin,Patton,and Capel could run in the 4x100 right now?

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:48 pm

Thats a solid group of sprinters .. and each with the right strengths to take on leg`s 1,2,3, or 4. The key is will they get enought work together to move the stick around. Chapel at the 2nd leg(extend his zone to take advantage of his 200m strength)....Drummond lead off. We won the div.ll 4x100m and we ran our best sprinter at 2 the whole season( he also won the 100m and 200m )Just an idear

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:02 pm

Good post Mike! My track team has won 5 4x100 district titles with my fastest runner running 2nd. It puts alot of pressure on opposing teams. I've found that opposing teams panic when they get behind on that leg and rush their handoffs,which is always a help for us.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:32 pm

Rusty.... that long straight is perfect for the strong runner....get things going with a lead off man like Drummond and like you said....it puts a lot of pressure on the other teams. The key is " are the right people getting enough pratice with the stick.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:43 pm

>What do Grimes, Patton, Capel, Gatlin and Gaines
>have in common? All kicked ass in the Zürich 100s
>tonite but none are slated to run for the U.S.in
>Paris. Oops!

Umm, last I checked, Darvis will be representing the US in the 200. Here's hoping he holds off KK in the final meters for the gold.

Postby tandfman » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:10 am

>>Umm, last I checked, Darvis will be representing the US in the 200.<

GH was obviously referring to the 100.
tandfman

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:57 pm

Go Doc Patton, you are starting to attract the attention you deserve.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:01 pm

After Krummenacker makes the finals in Paris he can then concentrate on the 1500 next year. He is the USA's main 1500 meter hope. That is unless Lunn suddenly figures out how to run either a 3:33 1500 meters or 3:52 mile. US milers with a 3:55 PR for the mile are not going to cut it against world's best anymore.