Jamaica...the best track and field country in the world!!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Jamaica...the best track and field country in the world!!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:17 am

Jamaica has only 2 million people but we are always in the high medal stands and have always been at all the most senior meets in the world. The record will show it. It is not a very big story because to them they have never reached the top...there is always a lot more to go. I have coached there for 12 years and have been responsibe for all senior and junior programs in specific areas. What do you think?

Re: Jamaica...the best track and field country in the world!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:32 am

They are also good at making pot.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:55 am

When you say . . . and field, you do include the throws, right? And by track . . . you do mean the distances, right? Plus the Multis?

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:44 am

>Jamaica has only 2 million people but we are
>always in the high medal stands and have always
>been at all the most senior meets in the world.
>The record will show it. It is not a very big
>story because to them they have never reached the
>top...there is always a lot more to go. I have
>coached there for 12 years and have been
>responsibe for all senior and junior programs in
>specific areas. What do you think?>

I think you're wrong.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:59 am

Before us arrogant Americans gang up on this guy, remember that the population of the USA (275 million) is 100 times that of Jamaica (2.7 million). I don't think we've won 100 times the medals recently.

OK, here's the prediction contest: Which nation will win the most medals per capita in Paris? I'm going with St. Kitts and Nevis (pop. 38,819). My backup pick is The Bahamas (pop. 294,982).

[Statistics from World Factbook, July 2000 estimates]

Postby dl » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:33 pm

Their national team also has some cool-ass uniforms.
dl

Postby Vince » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:03 pm

Actually, a more accurate statement might be they are the greatest sprinting nation, which brings up an interesting phenomena of single nations providing great numbers of athletes proficient in particular categories. i.e. Finland javelin or distance runners, Kenyon middle and long distance, etc. Also as stated elsewhere, the heavily populated nations are not allowed to send contingents to events in proportion to their nations population; therefore, is does not follow the medal win should be in proportion to each countries population.
Vince

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:33 am

Jamaica is clearly outstanding in some events, and not even a player in others. Show me a Jamaican of any note in the men's steeplechase, 5000, 10,000, marathon, pole vault, shot put, discus, decathlon. What impact have their women made at 5k, 10k, marathon, pole vault, shot, discus? For that matter they haven't exactly done anything worth writing home about in the 1500 or heptathlon. To say they are the greatest track AND field nation is to reduce the sport to a handful of carefully (and subjectively) chosen events which support your rather overblown assertion.