Heat Wave In Paris

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Heat Wave In Paris

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:30 am

Paris is experiencing tremendous heat wave with tempuratures over 100 F (37 C) compared to a August normal of 75 F (23 C). Several hundred have died do to the unusal conditions there.

Have event organizers come up with an alternate plan for the WC Marathon events. Both mens and womens are scheduled to take place in the early afternoon (????) on Aug 30 & 31.

While running a 10,000 or 5,000 under hot conditions is very troublesome, running a WC marathon race in 90+ degree weather could be deadly.

Re: Heat Wave In Paris

Postby Powell » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:41 am

I believe the heat wave is already over - today the temperature is 84 F and the forecasts for the coming week are pretty much the same. Sure, these are still not the optimal conditions for running marathons, but they rarely are at major championships.
Powell

Postby tandfman » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:35 am

I believe normal high temps for this time of year are in the low to mid '70's. Of course, this summer has not seen much normal weather in lots of places on both sides of the pond.

By the way, it can get cool and breezy in the evening. If you're worried about dressing right, bring a light windbreaker. I think you're as likely to be uncomfortably cool as uncomfortably warm. But again, this summer has been exceptional and nobody can be sure that the extreme heat won't return.
tandfman

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:43 am

I heard on a national sports talk show that 3,000 people have died of heat related illness. Temperatures are in the upper 90's. While it is certainly a tragedy that so many people have died it seems odd. Why aren't people turning on their AC. Why aren't young people making sure the elderly are drinking plenty of water? I live in Kansas and during August it is regulary over 100, and yet no one dies. Almost everywhere in the southern United States is in 100's during August, yet very few people die. What is going on in France when that many people have died? has anyone thought of turing the fan on high, or drinking some gatorade?
Please, someone from France weigh in on this discussion and correct me if I have missed some information in this story.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:59 am

It's not quite that simple. Most people there don't have air conditioning, and they're used to milder temperatures. 100F there would be like 115F in Kansas...deadly.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:03 am

Not from France, but perhaps a bit of an explanation.

>I heard on a national sports talk show that 3,000
>people have died of heat related illness.

Possible figure, but it is not one easily determined. Could be a lot less.

>Temperatures are in the upper 90's. While it is
>certainly a tragedy that so many people have died
>it seems odd. Why aren't people turning on their
>AC.

You are confusing North America with Europe, where air conditioning is far from the norm. People can't just turn on their AC. Most of the public/commercial places that do have it are American franchises, although even they are having a tough time coping.

Average temp in Paris in the summer is 24 degrees (less than 80 for the metrically challenged) so they just aren't used to it, both physiologically and in terms of infrastructure, the way most North Americans are.

>Why aren't young people making sure the
>elderly are drinking plenty of water?

One article I read mentioned how the old folks home were buying more fans and atomizers.

>I live in
>Kansas and during August it is regulary over 100,
>and yet no one dies. Almost everywhere in the
>southern United States is in 100's during August,
>yet very few people die. What is going on in
>France when that many people have died? has
>anyone thought of turing the fan on high, or
>drinking some gatorade?

Wasn't there a heat wave in Chicago a few years ago that resulted in many heat related deaths? Why didn't they just crank the AC, the fans, and chug some Gatorade?

Please, someone from
>France weigh in on this discussion and correct me
>if I have missed some information in this story.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:11 am

>Most people there don't have air conditioning<

And many of them don't use deodorants. A great combination when it's 100 degrees.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:41 am

Why is 100' in Paris like 115'in Kansas? All these deaths are just media hype, as usual. Did anyone see "Bowling for Columbine"?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:10 pm

Why indeed? For the same reason, I'd suggest, that people aren't dropping dead left and right from the heat in any (or EVERY) Middle Eastern country--because they've (largely) become adapted to it.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:14 pm

i was amazed at that too !
blame our "friend" jacque.
and i dont really think it will be this hot during the worlds which dont start until the 23rd.
maybe mid 80s for highs, but a lot of finals will not take place until late evening or early night so the temp will be in the 70s by then.