Track/football debate on Tenn. board

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Track/football debate on Tenn. board

Postby BillVol » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:15 am

A poster on one of the Tennessee boards, the obnoxious AtlantaVol, is against football players participating in track. I was happy to see that most posters disagreed with him:

http://insiders5.ezboard.com/fgridscape ... 2091.topic

Then, in response to this story in the Knoxville paper...

http://insiders5.ezboard.com/fgridscape ... 2123.topic

...another thread was started supporting dual athletes:

http://insiders5.ezboard.com/fgridscape ... 2123.topic
BillVol

Re: Track/football debate on Tenn. board

Postby BillVol » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:21 am

Here's the story. Thought everybody might be interested in this and in the debate among Vol fans. Maybe not.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/gv_football ... 97,00.html
BillVol

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:16 am

Tennessee has always been known for getting combination football/track stars. This goes back a few decades when track coaches could get into recruits houses at a time when football coaches were banned. A deal was formed between football and track that the track coach recruits the athlete (during the period when football couldn't) and they would share the athlete in the spring. I know this first hand because I was close friends with a guy who had this responsibility. A thing for the football fans who to keep in mind is that many of these athletes may not have attended UT in the first place without the promise to do both. It was rumored that Marion Jones chose UNC because it was the only basketball program that would allow her to do both. She helped by being a part of an NCAA champ basketball team. Another point that many football coaches DO like about athletes participating in track is the fact that it is an individual sport and athletes learn to succeed in pressure (alone in the spotlight) situations. Excellent & interesting topic.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:27 am

The Vol fans that complain about footballers doing track should forfeit the Peach Bowl that Tennessee won in the early 90s. A HS teammate of mine only chose UT because they would also let him run track; he sealed that bowl win with a FG block (which he actually over-ran and blocked with his butt!)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:31 am

If playing football and running track means being a great two sport student athlete...I am all for it. If doing both means being a rapist, drug user, under the table professional athlete, thug, four year player but not graduate....football can keep those guys. I wonder what stats there are comparing scholarship track guys and scholarship (professional sic) football guys at big time D. I universities with regards to arrest records, graduation rates...future jobs etc..etc.. Big time college sports (DI B-ball and football specifically) are a sickening aspect of American society. Track rules!

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:07 am

All I know is that when universities cut their track teams, they inevitably drop the overall GPA and graduation rates for their athletic department.

Postby BillVol » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:33 am

j, could that game you're thinking about maybe be Notre Dame? The game ended in that exact fashion, with a player blocking -- with his rear end -- a FG attempt to win by ND at the buzzer. I think the player was Jeremy Lincoln, who did letter in track in '91.
BillVol