Track and Field in the Media

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Track and Field in the Media

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:23 pm

No mention of the Pan Am games or very little until today.

My rr.com home page no 1 story is US loses two gold medals to positive drug test.

Amazing.

Re: Track and Field in the Media

Postby tafnut » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:52 pm

Actually I was just watching Fox Sports World (which seems to be a Brit dominated channel) and they actually showed Mickey Grimes's race and covered his DQ. Of course we always get the negative press. They NEVER would have shown his Pan Am victory just for its own sake.
tafnut

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:29 pm

Anybody who watches Fox gets what he deserves.

Postby tandfman » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:22 am

Yes, but the point is well taken. My local paper had a fairly long story the other day from Santo Domingo. The headline and the top of the story dealt with Vriesde's dq in the women's 800. The rest was mainly about the US team's efforts in all sports. Obviously, Vriesde's name hadn't appeared in the paper when all they had to say about her was that she won the 800.

It's cheap, shitty journalism, but that's the way the world works these days.
tandfman

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:52 am

One of the reasons why track and field gets a lot of negative press is because the media take great pleasure in seeing the moralistic take a fall.

Track and field has relatively stringent drug testing, automatic computerized timing, reaction sensors on our starting blocks, wind guages. We are so trying to be perfect. Years ago, TF was an noble "amateur" sport, above all the riff-raff who get paid to play. We toil to perfect our craft and we wouldn't think of being paid, we do it for the love of the sport.

Other sports do not have as stringent of drug policies. If they somehow fail a test, the media usually whips right through it, and moves on. Their expectations, moralistically of those sports are low, so drug testing is not the lead story with those sports.

In the world of sports entertainment, TF has become too complex for the average person to handle. Problem is, for those that might become interested, if exposed to it, do not get any looks at it because the media chooses not to cover it well.

If the goal is better coverage, then meets would have to have fewer events, and move much more quickly.

Drug testing: now that's an issue! Can't do it justice at 5:50 a.m.!

nb

Postby Pego » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:44 am

It's not only the negative reporting and it's not only T&F. For some reason television people think that the competition is not exciting enough on it's own and have to "improve" it by stories, highlights from the past, idiotic, senseless interviews, so there is no competition left of that precious little that there was to start with. And they all do it. Ever since Roone Arledge "revolutionized" TV coverage, it's been downhill to this day.
Pego

Postby The Flash » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:16 am

All we had in our local paper was a peice about James Parker (Hammer), who was a standout at a local high school and college. That's typical coverage, though. They only mention outstanding performances by locals--very little (if anything) about the rest of the meet.
The Flash

Postby trackstar » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:45 am

>Anybody who watches Fox gets what he deserves.

Actually, Fox Sportsworld is pretty cool, except that they never show track (unless, apparently, someone gets caught with drugs).

Now, if you're talking about Fox News, I'm with you.
trackstar

Postby gm » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:20 pm

Now, if you're talking about Fox News,
>I'm with you.

Yeah, I'd rather watch that really balanced network news, CNN or NPR. Ha! How's that People's Republic of Austin, Lee? :)
gm

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:12 am

>
Now, if you're talking about Fox News,
>I'm with you.

The other day on Conan O'Brien, he began a joke with "According to Fox News Channel -- and they're always right --" and the audience broke out laughing before he could finish the joke. He thought it was hilarious that they thought that was the whole joke!