Superstars

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Superstars

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:12 am

Track guys have always done well in the Superstars which goes to show that track guys..at least the ones who go on the Superstars are the best all around athletes. Renaldo Nehemiah won three titles. Edwin Moses pioneered going over the obstacle course wall without using the rope. I saw Mike Powell not only hurdle the high jump bar...but the entire mat as well! On top of that, Track guys were not allowed to particpate in the evnets that were too close to theor own..i.e. no Carl Lewis in the 100 yards or Edwin Moses in the half mile

Re: Superstars

Postby gh » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:13 am

In the early years, at least, the track guys won because they needed the money and got in shape for it; for all the pros, it was an off-season, out-of-shape, do-it-for-a-joke thing.
gh

Postby tafnut » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:26 am

Did Moses ever run a serious 800? He had to have a 1:46 in him, wouldn't you think?
tafnut

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:16 am

He ran an early-season, winning 1:48 once.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:19 am

Track guys in the past may have been in shape for the Superstars while the NFL players were not but that still brings up an important point. Track guys needed to be training all year around to compete on their level whereas NFL and MLB players could lounge away the offseason and still remain competitive in their sports....I think htis says someting about what sport has a higher level of competition.