U.S. Women's 4x1

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

U.S. Women's 4x1

Postby gh » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:44 am

Based on London (10.99 for 2nd, beating Block) and Berlin (10.86w for 2nd, beating Sturrup), you'd have to think that Chryste Gaines (hurt at Nationals, only 5th) is quickly running her way onto the team. Given her experience with the stick (Oly gold and bronze, three World Champs golds, World Cup gold, Pan-Am gold) they should already have a baton with her name engraved on it.
gh

Re: U.S. Women's 4x1

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:10 pm

My personal pick would be...

1. C. Gaines (mainly because A. Williams has said she is done for the year)

2. T. Edwards

3. L. Williams, L. Jenkins, anybody (I really think Inger needs to be phased out and she is not running well right now)

4. K. White

Postby Pego » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:16 pm

How about Devers-Gaines-Edwards-White?
Pego

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:29 pm

Maybe. But why Devers at 1st instead of 2nd? Although now that I think about it that might not be such a bad idea. And Torri at third might work out nicely as well.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:00 pm

It seems to me that, given their better credentials at 200m, White and Edwards should run the first and third legs with Gaines running second and Devers anchor.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:34 pm

I don't necessarily think that you need a good 200m runner on 1st as much. Yes, it is a bend, but it should more so be your best starter and whoever gets out of the whole the best. That is why Angela Williams is such a good first leg yet isn't that hot of a 200m runner. I like Kelli best at anchor. Although I definitely think Devers still has it, she did not do a great job holding on at last year's world cup.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:10 pm

heats
leadoff: gaines
second: felix
third: miller
anchor: devers

final:
leadoff: gaines
second: devers
third: edwards
anchor: white

Postby huh? » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:00 pm

Sorry, Thanos. I have to disagree emphatically. Changing the order from heats to final in the 4x100 is just plain stupid, even though we've done it any number of times. We can pretty well count on getting away with this in the 4x400 but not the short relay.

Your final order isn't bad, though.
huh?

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:02 am

1. Edwards-has been running well this year. She has really improved over 60m and runs a good bend.

2. Gaines-has great closing speed and is running extremely well right now. She can pick a few people off without a problem.

3. Miller-Even though she is running like crap, she always handles her business on this leg.

4. White-no explanation needed.