Don't Bring Your Skis

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Don't Bring Your Skis

Postby gh » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:45 am

Paper this morning notes that it was 102 in Paris yesterday, low of 73. Elsewhere, it says:

<<An apprent shift northward of the "meteorological equator" in Africa appears to be responsible for the severe drought and unrelenting heat over Europe. While parts of sub-Saharan Africa have received heavy rains and flash flooding this season, the normal high-pressure system that produces North Africa's desert climate has moved northward into Europe. The resulting heat wave and drought......

METEOROLOGISTS FEAR THAT EVEN HOTTER CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP IN EUROPE BEFORE THE END OF SUMMER.>>

(caps mine)
gh

Re: Don't Bring Your Skis

Postby tafnut » Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:03 am

There is a correlation between event performance in heat and in altitude. All the events that benefit in heat, sprints, jumps, throws (I would imagine), are the altitude-assisted ones. The distances, of course, suffer. Middle distance, at least 800 and 1500, don't seem to be affected at all. So maybe Paris will be a Mexico City repeat, with great sprinting and jumping and then tactical distances (which are good in their own right). I'll take that.
tafnut

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:16 pm

well, the forecast for the middle of next week calls for highs in the mid-80's....

oddly, it's warmer in France than it is in Spain...

those of you there in 1999 in seville know it can easily get to 110-115 range in seville, yet paris is 10 degrees warmer than seville??

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:03 pm

doubt it ! my guess it will be nothing like seville in 99 or sacramento in 00. probably less than athens in 97. i would guess higs in the 80s and low in the 60s.

Postby bubba » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:14 pm

the funny part is that our guessing at the weather is about as accurate as professionals doing the same thing so who's to say you're wrong. The guy I share an office with and I keep joking that we're going to open a new website and base our predictions on a special dart board designed with % scattered showers on it for the summer. Seems like all our forcasters are saying is 30% scattered showers. Sometimes it rains, sometimes it doesn't. So far my guesses have been more accurate than the pros.
bubba

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:19 pm

My favorite is when they say "party cloudy' one day and then 'partly sunny' the next, and it's the same weather. And if there's 1% clouds or 99% clouds, they're right! "Chance of rain today." There's a real risk-taker.

As George Carlin (hippie-dippie weatherman) used to say, "There's a high chance of darkness tonight, following by mostly light tomorrow during the day."

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:24 pm

Scoff all you want, but I hear it hit 100 in England today for the first time EVER (well, since they started measuring this stuff)

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:29 pm

Where's Al Gore when you need him? After he invented the internet, he invented global warming, as I recall.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:50 pm

Oh crap - forget it I'm not going if it is gonna be that hot. I'll sit home in my AC and watch the entire thing on TV. They will show every lap of the 5k(heats and final) and 10k right?

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:05 pm

Right, plus every hammer throw and triple jump! Sports Center will have all the highlights and your morning paper will have every quote and split.

Postby Pego » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:30 pm

...and Toto, too.
Pego