Yuliya Pechyonkina 400h wr

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Yuliya Pechyonkina 400h wr

Postby paulmerca » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:49 am

Yuliya Pechyonkina breaks the women's 400 metres hurdles world record at the Russian championships clocking 52.34 according to Eurosport.com

http://eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/L0/ticker_Lng0.shtml
paulmerca

Re: Yuliya Pechyonkina 400h wr

Postby gh » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:27 am

Good thing we'd already bumped her ahead of Pittman in our formchart! :-)
gh

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:49 pm

gh, where is your form chart located online?

Postby gh » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:48 pm

As of, oh, about now, it' s on the front page. Still a work in progress though, as full results of the Russian Championships (and the composition of their team) still unknown. And the Ethiopians have some distance choices they won't announce until Friday.
gh

Postby Anne Animus » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:16 am

A typical example of what's wrong with this board... You get 100 comments on each of the 100 threads on Alan Webb, but a WORLD RECORD doesn't even get one decent comment. But then she is a woman, isn't a distance runner, and comes from on eof these faraway places where people's names are hard to pronounce, so who cares, right?
Anne Animus

Postby bhall » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:58 am

Unfortunately, it's the problem with most if not all t&F message boards. Great performances get overlooked so people can talk on about Webb, drugs, or whatever ad infinitum.

I'd love to see footage of the race and a breakdown of "touchdown" times in comparison to Batton, Buford-Baily, and Gunnell's marks. On to Paris!
bhall

Postby Anne Animus » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:33 am

I don't know what message boards you frequent, but compared to the IAAF Forum, this board is very parochial. Yes, some countries' athletes do generate more interest there than others', but if a great performance comes up, no matter where and who achieves it, it will be talked about. The Russian championships (and not just Pechonkina - there were a lot of other top-class performances achieved there, but I doubt anyone over here knows or cares) were the big topic of discussion the last couple of days. And FYI, most of the posters are British or American. I've only ever seen two Russians post anything there.
Anne Animus

Postby bubba » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:11 am

Note that I said, "most if not all." So my "if not all" isn't correct. But I'll bet that if you poll the most popular t&f message boards you'll see that my "most" is correct.

Anyway, how about those touchdown times. Anne (sic), you got those handy?
bubba

Postby Anne Animus » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:39 am

No, I don't... I doubt anyone would have carried out such analyses at the Russian champs.
Anne Animus

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:51 pm

I won't be surprised if Pechonkina goes well under 52 in Paris, nor will I be surprised if she becomes the first woman under 51 by next year. She might also be the fastest one lap sprinter by next year. She is one powerful athlete.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:01 pm

you might be a little over zealous about her prospects.

Postby Anne Animus » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:09 pm

Under 51? No way, she'd need to be able to run sub-49 on the flat to do that... The 52-second barrier could be broken at some point in the near future, though. If Pechonkina doesn't do it, Jana Pittman may.
Anne Animus

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:04 pm

Read the thread 'Another WR at the Russian championship': One poster made this note===>

Using the Mercier scoring tables, a 52.34 400mH time is "worth" a 48.41 400m run. Of course, this doesn't mean that Pechonkina is capable of running 48.41, it's just a cross-event comparison.

-So she may be able to run under 50s for sure..

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:54 pm

"she'd need to be able to run sub-49 on the flat to do that"

I agree. 7 women already been there, done that. Another 11 performers between 49.05 and 49.30. What is so outrageous about thinking she might become the 8th under 49?

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:03 pm

hopefully before the season is over, wether its zurich, paris, brussels or reitti, promoters can get her in a flat 400 with guevera, fenton and company and we can see the outcome

Postby gh » Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:07 pm

Unlikely to happen. Why would a meet promoter have a recent WR setter (an incredibly rare animal these days) in his meet and not run her in her WR event? Flys in the face of marketing logic. Promoters aren't interested in satisfying the curiousity of tracknuts, unfortunately.
gh

Postby tandfman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:06 am

>Unlikely to happen. <

Unless she wanted it to happen. We've seen some of those off-event things where for one reason or another, an athlete did not want to compete in his/her prime event at a certain time. This could happen with Pech after Paris. Or maybe not.
tandfman

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:03 am

In reference to touch down times for hurdlers...one of the posters said and I quote " I doubt that anyone would carry out such analyes at the Russian Champs. As a hurdle coach myself I always take down touch down times(important data for the coach and athlete to take back to a training session to see strengths and weaknesses in a race) ..be it a race or pratice situation. Any coach worth his or her salt would do it, especially in a national championship . And the Russians are such technique that you know her Coach has that info...weather it out there for the public is another matter. But I`m sure it will surface in some research paper in the future

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:06 am

Left out " Technique freeks" in my last post...typo on my part , sorry guys lol

Postby Powell » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:11 am

Possibly, but if her coach took down the touchdown times, they are likely to be hand-timed and not terribly accurate. They won't be directly comparable to the times achieved in the last 2 WR races, which were achieved in WChs and were the subject of major IAAF research projects.
Powell

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:17 am

I just love it when there are complete break downs of the sprint races. True about the hand times but they have been very helpful for me and my hurdlers to get a feel of the race and it`s " zones", then we go back and work out the weak spots ( I talking about my 110HH guys) but also in the IM it is useful. Amazing the kind of data that is out there and it can spell out the whole race and it`s stages.