Stick a Fork in 'em--Webb's Done!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Stick a Fork in 'em--Webb's Done!

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:05 am

CC in the fall? for track? Not very smart.

Hey Ray Flynn, whereyat!

Re: Stick a Fork in 'em--Webb's Done!

Postby dl » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:36 am

C'mon, enough Webb for now! He won't be competing seriously until January at least (ignoring cross), so let's concentrate on all the exciting competitions (London, Berlin, Zurich, some meet in France, etc) coming up!
dl

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:59 am

That's funny; are you officially making a new addition to the message board rules? Nothing can be racist, sexist, regarding drug use, or about Webb!

Postby MJD » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:45 am

>CC in the fall? for track? Not very smart.

Hey
>Ray Flynn, whereyat!

Actually, some of the best track runners come from a cross background.
MJD

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:45 am

Really. Ever heard of Lynn Jennings. All those cross titles national and world PLUS the Oly bronze. Can't argue with that.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:59 am

I second the motion for the rule change: NO MORE WEBB TALK. If you are so devoid of imagination that Webb is all you can talk about, please start posting on the www.ihavenolifesoiripwebb.com message board.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:49 am

flynn is jinxed this year...

teter is hurt and so is webb...

who else does he represent??

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:08 pm

where did you hear that about Teter?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:10 pm

on the front page of this site

Postby dl » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:47 pm

I wasn't making any rules. I just think there are many other topics to discuss this time of year instead of Mr. Webb.
dl

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:10 pm

If he is going to do Cross Country why not just go back to Michigan. I thought he wanted to just concentrate on the mile and be coached by Raczko. Right now he is jumping all over the place.
These bizarre paths Webb is taking remains me of Gade Jennings. All US track and field needs today is another Jennings. Don't be surprised if Webb suddenly wants to start biking as well.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:10 pm

Oh no, more Webb talk!!

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:16 pm

Actually, it is quite common for a miler like Webb to do cross country in the fall. It is good for conditioning and prepares an athlete for the rigorous track season in the spring.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:36 pm

Alright, because dl said let's talk about something else, I will. I was just voicing concerns about Webb's decisions. Also, why did he only train in New Mex for 3 weeks? NO benefit there.

Stick a Fork in this thread.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:22 am

>Stick a Fork in this thread.<

Yeah, you're right. Let's talk about Usain Bolt instead.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:33 am

'em is a contraction of "them" so just who is the them that we're supposed to be forking?

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:35 am

Isn't it obvious that "them" refers to the multiple Webb-related threads on this Board?

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:55 pm

No more webb discussions - please!!!

Get a LIFE

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:42 pm

I think Alan Webb is washed up. Who's with me?

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:24 am

He should follow Bob Kennedy's example and train with the Africans.
If he does not run at least a 3:52 mile within the next few years then he should be concerned.

Remember, Jim Ryun had already set two world records when he was twenty years old. Webb is obviously not developing at the same rate as Ryun was.

I still believe Webb may run a 3:49 mile someday. You cannot ignore that 3:53 he ran in High School. The talent will eventually have to blossom.

I don't think Steve Scott will be topped by another American miler for at least twenty more years. No American has really come close to the 3:47 mile Scott ran in 1982. The only way I see this record falling is if a talented African runner becomes an American citizen.

In conclusion claiming Webb finished at 20 years of age is a little extreme. He is just not going to be the next "great" US miler. However, I can foresee Webb becoming a powerful US miler in the vein of Jim Spivey. I do believe Webb has enough speed and strength to run a sub 3:50 mile someday. Believe me the US needs a miler with that speed desperately.