women's 100m

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

women's 100m

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:14 am

can we say Chandra Sturrup will beat Kelli White and Zhanna Block for the gold

Re: women's 100m

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:16 am

We can . . . but then we would be deluding ourselves.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:21 am

i wanna say Sturrup but i'm not jumping on a wagon i've been with kelli all season and i'm gonna stay with her.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:42 am

I would say lets wait and see.....We still have 2 golden league meets left before Paris. Chandra will have her opportunity to compete against Block and the others a few more times. We will have a pretty good picture of how things are shaping up over the next 2 weeks. It certainly will not be easy for any of the women b/c they are all so close. Having said that though Chandra looked awesome her last time out!

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:46 am

it'll all be about who's ready in 3 weeks...

White was great early...Sturrup once the euro season started...

block is...under raced....

I'd say white or sturrup...against the rest of the field

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:45 pm

I cannot say it now because anythink can happen.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:59 pm

>I cannot say it now because anythink can happen.

wow. you're a risk taker.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:11 pm

sturrup a tek dah 100m deh

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:57 pm

Hey fellas, don't leave that hsi chick out of the mix! Torre Edwards is coming along just fine so you may be surprised if she is able to sneak into the mix.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:31 pm

>sturrup a tek dah 100m deh

is that English? my German isn't very good so it may be German? Anyone? Anyone?

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:35 pm

that's the way jamaicans talk right now rudy but i feel Tori will do a thing

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:35 pm

>that's the way jamaicans talk right now rudy but
>i feel Tori will do a thing

Will she or will she not?

Postby gingin » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:13 am

I guess we should't forget Ekaterini Thanou. She's medaled in every major she's been in since 98.
Trouble is, like her countryman Kederis, she Plays opossum (aka Hides out) all season and then shows up at championships full of run. I don't much admire the pracitise, but I know we can't count her out.
gingin

Postby mary » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:10 am

I don't think she'll be in Paris. She had an injury, she was ready to try at the European Cup, but said she still had problems when the moment came. Plus the Greek Federation asks for at least one appearance per season. I think her last chance was the Thessaloniki meeting.
mary

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:36 am

Check out TFN homepage for story on Zhanna now that she run

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:00 am

I understand Thanou is currently injured and is unlikely to go to Paris. If she does, she'll most likley be in the form she was last year, outside 11 secs. She'd make the Paris final but that's it.

Re Block, she should have beaten Gaines in Heusden but as she reeled for the line Gaines accidentally tangled arms with her (Gaines was right over, virtually in Zhanna's lane)
I'm convinced if they hadnt had contact Block would have won in around 11.11. Into that strong wind (-1.4) it was a good run.

The final in Paris has to be between Sturrup, White, Arron and Block IMHO. The crux will be who can handle the rounds.. and their head. Block is the only one who has won a world title before, but this injury must have knocked her confidence. Arron has home crowd support..and pressure. White does peak very well (ala edmonton) but her losses this year on the circuit must have made her a little unsure. Sturrup is solid, but I'm not convinced she has a champion inside her....

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:21 am

Alot of peolpe make posts regarding Chandra and thier doubt as to whether she can handle rounds and whether she has a champion heart or not.... Well I am here to say that Chandra has all that is required to be a champion. Let me give you a run down on this athletes history. Chandra has made every olympic and world final since 1996 with the exception of 97(injured). In Atlanta OG she placed 4th in the final after setting personal bests in almost every single round including the final, where she finished .04s behind Gwen Torrence(her first olympics!). Then in 1999 she had just changed coaches and she still made the final that year. In 2000 OG she had arrived in Sydney with a back injury that almost threatened her participation. She still made the final and ran an amazing backstretch on the BAH 4x100m relay to secure gold. She was once again in the running in 2001 but her inconsistency plagued her and once agin she finished 4th. This year she has been a totally different athlete. She is more consistent and confident than she has ever been, has run sparingly to avoid injuries (recovering from a stress fracture), and has run 10.89 after having run a total of about 6 races all season. who is going to win, I don't know. But if you ask me who is the hungriest athlete on the track right now, I would say CHANDRA!

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:19 pm

According to www.sport.gr Ms Thanou is continuing her daily practice as ever and she is in the final stage of her training for this year's world championship. She was injured before the European Cup (right leg) but not so seriously as one may think. The doctors recommended to rest for a while and to avoid participation in meetings as a precausion. Sounds like the same old story I have to admit...