lets get rid of the race walk

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

lets get rid of the race walk

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:10 pm

hey, does anyone else out there think that race walking is pointless? it looks funny and the only reason someone would do it is because they are not good enough as a runner.
who is with me?
we need to eliminate race walk, or at least add some walking events that sprinters would enjoy such as the 50 meter walk or 100m walk.
maybe a skip race-a 5k maybe. how about a 400 meter walk or even a 200 meter 3leged race?
noone wants to see a race walk. if you want to walk you should have to do it against the runners so are shown for the slow person that you are.

Re: lets get rid of the race walk

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:17 pm

This topic has been done to death and merely provokes hate mail (like your own).

Let's all pass.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:58 pm

I think racewalking should be it's own sport, like triathlon etc. It's not track and field.

Postby racewalker » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:11 am

Yawn.
racewalker

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:28 pm

Now I know everybody must be on vacation, when an opportunity to bash the walks comes up and nobody rises to the bait. C'mon people, where's the hate?!

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:30 pm

Hey, we all know the walks are idiotic--criticizing them is like shooting the proverbial fish in a barrel. However, we've been through all this quite recently (remember that lengthy string about events to drop)?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:46 pm

I'm not a fan of race walking but you have to admire what they can do. Have you ever tried to run a sub 40:00 10K? Yeah, it isn't easy (unless, of course you are a very fit, competitive runner), now try WALKING two of those i.e. 20K at that pace! The top walkers can break 1:20:00 for a 20K--that amazes me. I remember as a pretty fit runner back in the 60's (I was in 33:00 10K shape) I tried to race walk a mile and did 8:17... and it was HARD.

Postby athlete72125 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:59 pm

but its not track and field. track is running!!!!! not walking!!!!
athlete72125

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:43 pm

Lots of endeavors could be described as HARD...... does that mean we have to make them all into track events? What I don't like about the walks is that they violate the basic premise all track events- that is, by walking, you are not covering the distance as quickly as possible. What is the point?

Postby racewalker » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:56 am

>but its not track and field. track is
>running!!!!! not walking!!!!

Depends on your view point. I always thought T&F was walking and not running.

Here's why we should get rid of each event:
100 - Not really the fastest race since the average of the 100's in the 200 is faster. What's the point?
200 - Run around the turn, so probably not getting 100% available speed. What's the point?
400 - People don't start together, giving a tactical advantage to those on inside lanes. Inside lanes too tight, so that's not fair. What's the point?
800 - Not a "sprint". Not a distance run. "It's a desert topping and a floor wax in one." What's the point?
1500 - Not the wildly successful 1600 meter distance as contested in many US high schools. Also doesn't follow the "logical" doubling of distance that preceeds it. What's the point?
5k - TV doesn't show anything but the last lap or so, therefore it MUST be a pointless distance.
10k - Twice the length of the 5k, so must be twice as pointless.
Hurdles - Totally artificial. Pointless.
Steeple - Plasticized cross country. Pointless.
Discus - Oh, please. What's next - the frisbee throw for distance?
Javelin - They redesigned it to fly shorter distances, but the goal is to throw it the farthest. Huh? Kind of like a competition to see who can whisper the loudest.
Shot - Until you can throw this any way you want, it can't be taken seriously. Replace it with the softball throw from the President's fitness test & you've got something.
Long Jump - Can't be taken seriously until they reinstate Carl Lewis' 30-footer from the 82 Oly Festival since it shows that the human eye can't be used for judging.
High Jump - Any event that can be contested in outfits like Amy Acuff was wearing, can't be in T&F. No, wait, on second thought that really panders to TV, the final bastion of athletic taste. OK, the event goes but Amy can stay.
Hammer - Huh? What does this silly looking implement represent in real life? This gets sent to those strongman contests (Indoor weight throw, too).
Triple Jump - Looks silly. Why 3 jumps and not 4? Make it 100 jumps and you've got Olympic distance skipping.
Pole vault - Talk about silly. This goes to gymnastics where it belongs and where judges can properly evaluate form. Exception: The women who did the "Vault Girls" calendar can DEFINATELY stay. Same with Stacy D - just because she's a goddess.
Marathon - Rosie Ruiz. Male pacers for the women. 300 lb guys dressed as Superman. Guys in diving suits. Yeah, right.
Walks - We don't understand it, so we don't like it, so it gets canned. Besides, they walk like fashion models and that's ... well... you know....

So, what do we have left?

Hang together or hang separately.

DISCLAIMER FOR THE HUMOR-DEFICIENT: My tongue is firmly in my cheek. I will personally kill the first person who tries to get rid of the Vault Girls.
racewalker

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:14 am

I tried to warn you . . . this is getting no where fast. Walkers like the event, the rest of us need to just chill. In a perfect world everyone would 'live and let live', but noooooo.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:12 am

I'm not interested in the walks, but I think in no way do they "hurt" the sport any more than marathons do. They almost always not part of a regular meet program and often held by themselves outside of WC/OG competition.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:49 pm

Brian--the point in race walking is who can go the fastest...but it's the fastest with one foot always in contact with the ground!

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:05 pm

Of course, a steeplechaser could probably cover the distance much faster if he or she simply ran around the water obstacle. Right?

>Lots of endeavors could be described as
>HARD...... does that mean we have to make them
>all into track events? What I don't like about
>the walks is that they violate the basic premise
>all track events- that is, by walking, you are
>not covering the distance as quickly as possible.
>What is the point?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:33 pm

That is the stupidest thing been said yet

Postby miles » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:44 pm

I'm sure somewhere there is a racewalkers forum where all they talk about is how to get rid of all those stupid running events from track and field.
miles

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:40 pm

Yeah yeah tolerance and blah blah blah... WHY NOT just have cycling races with the brakes manditorily applied??

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:07 am

>I'm sure somewhere there is a racewalkers forum
>where all they talk about is how to get rid of
>all those stupid running events from track and
>field.>>

Yes, and every serious walker in the country--all 12 of them--contribute religiously.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:19 am

Brian,

GET A LIFE!

Postby ht30 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:14 am

Race walk is one of the most popular events for Masters athletes.
ht30

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:11 am

"Not threatened by race walkers",

GET A REAL NAME!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:45 am

Brian - I never understood this issue (and it has indeed been done to death). Why, when T&F is trying like hell to gain support, save college programs, and increase participation - why do people WITHIN the T&F family suggest cancelling events?? The number of racewalkers is v/large, and they are usually track savy.

Do you think Greg Lemond or Lance Armstrong denegrates mountain bike racing? Hell no - in fact I've seen them actively support it. They are smart enough to realize that the more participants in their sport the more visible it will be.

It is pure silliness no promote getting rid of events that have such a large following. It is also indicative of someone who is obviously unfamiliar with T&F's large issues (i.e fan base, notoriety, marketing, and yes $$$).

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:05 am

OK first of all, I am not really that adamantly against the racewalk... I just like to play along with the crap on this forum by exaggerating my disregard for that event. It doesn't really matter to me whether the event stays or goes - either way, I'm not watching it. With that said, one thing I am adamant about is that we shouldn't compromise the sport for marketability purposes. I really don't think track is ever going to be popular or marketable in America, so I say we should keep it as pure as possible for the real fans and say fuck the channel-flippers

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:08 am

The reason is because events like race walking is ruining the sport. If we get rid of these pointless and boring events then we would probably progress better as a sports. Come on really! Walking? That is so lame!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:21 am

>fuck the channel-flippers<

Thank you for the offer, but I'd rather watch TV.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:03 am

That was almost as funny as the time water came out of my kitchen faucet!

Postby racewalker » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:37 am

>The reason is because events like race walking is
>ruining the sport. If we get rid of these
>pointless and boring events then we would
>probably progress better as a sports. Come on
>really! Walking? That is so lame!

Yes, of course.
Drugs, falling participation, crappy leadership, kids particpation in soccer, programs being cut, general lack of fitness in kids, lack of media coverage and the like, ARE the minor issues. It is clear that the meteoric rise of walking in the last 30 years has come at the expense of T&F - in fact, T&F is secretly controlled by the "12 racewalkers" in the country for their own cruel purposes and financial gain. What we really need to do is get rid of the walks and then EVERYTHING will be all better. I can't tell you how many times we've all gone to meets and heard people in the stands say that they were going to stay at home until a friend guaranteed them that there was no walk in the meet. Of course, since there are so few meets with walks, it may be hard to explain why anyone in the general public even worries about the threat. But, hey, let's not let facts influence our beliefs.
Same for the Olympics - The networks HAVE to put on 20 hours of "Up Close and Personal" track segments to nullify the 5 seconds of walk coverage. ("And here is, 5 seconds of racewalking, the 'Rodney Dangerfield' of T&F, the winner being some guy with a name that is mostly consonants and isn't an American, so let's go back to our next 'Up Close & Personal' segment, after which we will review every alleged or proved drug cheat in known history, with a special look at Ben Johnson and the fact that Carl Lewis now lives huddled in a refrigerator box behind a 7-11 because of what Ben, who is not an American, did to him." I know, I know - the disgust at walks just boils over when you hear that sort of thing.)

>The reason is because events like race walking is
>ruining the sport.

What sport are we talking about here? Are there other events "like racewalking" in T&F that we don't know about? Is the IRWC (International Racewalking Conspiracy) holding secret events "like racewalking" that are siphoning off athletes/fans/money/TV time from the poor sprinters? The horror.
racewalker

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:45 am

Why on earth would you take a thread that was inactive for three days, well off the front page of the Board, and resuscitate it? Or do you guys just love to have people beating up on you? It's a dumb thread. Let it die.