August T&FN

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

August T&FN

Postby tafnut » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:08 am

Best issue this year. Profiles on Bernard Williams, Lunn, Kenta Bell, new disc guy Carl Brown, Pappas, Kelli White, Anjanette Kirkland, Grace Upshaw (where did she come from?), D. Kilmartin, Isinbayeva (20!), plus a relay pool discussion, and a Tyree W. mini-poster.

and the Prediction Contest! (my favorite - I actually won once!)

good stuff.
tafnut

Re: August T&FN

Postby bhall » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:25 am

There will be an online prediction contest (GH mentioned it previously). Details on it should be out in the next week.
bhall

Postby Pego » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:51 am

I tip my hat to you, tafnut to have won it. Every time I enter I suck. Speaking of Carl Brown. There was a discobolus Carl Brown in the eighties. Any relation?
Pego

Postby tafnut » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:05 pm

The online contest is different from the magazine contest? There's also an online contest at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rvweele/

I just noticed all that's going on in the picture on page 4.
a. The caption typo that is not a typo!
b. The wide diversity in uniforms (and the attendent commentary on sponsors)
c. a 1000-word description of Monty's start problems.

How's that for teasers, fellas?
tafnut

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:41 am

What does discobolus mean??

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:59 am

See www.dictionary.com. That's what it's for.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:08 pm

Obviously you didn't use it. It's a noun and has no meaning in the context of the post. There was a statue of Carl Brown throwing the disc?

Postby Pego » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:22 pm

I remember from long time ago that discobolos (o, not u) was the old Greek term in the ancient Olympiad for a discue thrower. I am talking about a thrower by the name of Carl Brown who was 200+ foot thrower. If memory serves correctly, he may have won (or placed) in the 1988 trials.
Pego

Postby tafnut » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:33 pm

As I recall - (that's a joke - I'm reading from the Index of the FAST annual) his foray into USATF (or OT) was a nq in 97, 4th in 98, 8th in 99, 8th in 00, 7th in 01 and 6th in 02. No other Browns in 88, 92, 96.
tafnut

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:43 pm

>Obviously you didn't use it. It's a noun and has
no meaning in the context of the post. There was
a statue of Carl Brown throwing the disc?<

Of course I used it. I also understood it and, being a word guy, I understand the grammar of our language. In the sense that it is used in the post, discobolus is not an adjective; it is a noun in apposition. The primary definition of the word according to dictionary.com (a thrower of the discus) fits the context perfectly.

Postby Pego » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:54 pm

Sorry, I must apologize. After tafnut's reply I went to the old issues of T&FN, as I didn't think I was totally nuts as yet. The athlete I was thinking off was Carlos Scott and he did not make the team in 1992.
Pego

Postby kritter » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:06 pm

Concerning the 100m start: The Picture on p.4 clearly shows that everyone reacted almost identically. From the foot and free leg positions on the second step into the race, all runners are in exactly the same position. So, what is all this crying or bragging about a bad or good start. Everyone got the same start! It's what they did after the start, and body angles that vary slightly, that affected their races.
kritter

Postby tafnut » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:14 am

huh? look at Monty's left arm - down - and then everyone else's - up. Clearly something was wrong from the first step.
tafnut

Postby bubba » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:26 am

A good reaction time does not equal a good start. It is just one aspect of the start.
bubba

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:34 am

The online contest is different from the magazine contest? There's also an online contest at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rvweele/

I was the winner of this contest last year(Munich 2002)but I am still waiting for my price money... So beware of such bad companions.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:54 am

Fernando,

We have a saying here in America: "you get what you pay for." If the contest is free, don't expect all that much. I can attest for the T&FN contest (the prize is, after all, free for them too - sort of). But your very high score in the Munich game was fantastic, so be proud of your superlative prognosticating skills. I hereby declare you the favorite of T&FN's contest. You are not, however, a lock :-)
I hope this translates well into Italian.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:26 am

Worthy adversry,
Le rispondo in italiano per farmi capire meglio.
Se qualcuno promette qualcosa e volontariamente non mantiene, per me è un disonesto.
Anche noi in Italia abbiamo un detto interessante: Qua nessuno è fesso.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:33 am

Ah, the wonder of Internet translation programs:

"I answer in Italian in order makes to understand me better. If someone promises something and voluntarily it does not maintain, for me it is a dishonest one. Also we in Italy have an interesting saying: Here nobody is cleaved."

I take that last line to refer to cloven hooves ala pig?

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:37 am

Worthy adversary yet very good at Italian

La parte migliore di queste cose è che ciascuno può interpretarle come meglio crede.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:15 am

"The best part of this is that each can interpret it as he wishes."

um . . . OK

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:38 am

Ah! Luca Brazzi sleeps with the fishes.

Postby The Flash » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:57 am

not so bono at Italian...

The funny thing is, that "bono" means sexy in Italian...

ciao!
The Flash

Postby Anne Animus » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:22 am

>There will be an online prediction contest (GH
>mentioned it previously). Details on it should
>be out in the next week.

The next week is almost over now... When are we gonna see what the contest is about?
Anne Animus

Postby gh » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:52 pm

You'll be able to enter the contest starting next Monday morning. Details on how it will work will show up before that so you can be thinking about it.
gh

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:39 pm

I cannot find Track and Field news anywhere. It is not on sale either at Borders or Barnes and Noble

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:52 pm

Track & Field News has a relatively new (geologically speaking) service called a 'subscription.' You send in money and they will send you a copy every month!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I bet if you call up their business office, 800-GET-TRAK, they can hook you up.