I love ALL sports (track best)

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

I love ALL sports (track best)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:27 pm

Stuck at work way late (left coast time). Came home to log on and find Penn results, but ended up seduced by the tube. Semi-mighty Ducks against Dallas in 4 (or was it 5?) overtimes in the pucks; screwed-by-the-refs T-Wolves against the Flakers in hoops. How does our favorite sport fight that kind of excitement? Dang.

Re: I love ALL sports (track best)

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:10 am

you're losing your focus. use the force. don't give in to the darkside.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:50 am

Many of us track folks can have tunnel vision....If your hardcore runner you can't enjoy no other sports. If runner is all you can tune in to you are hurting....how often does it come on the tube? you'll be happy if you caught a few good meets 8 times a year. Billiards are show more than running. So if the many loves all sports like I do there is nothing wrong with that. Track and running is just our favorite!

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:21 am

Worse yet is the fact that I am a true fan attending meets whenever possible in person, but the TV coverage bores the hell out of me. 45 minutes of an hour goes to the 100's and hurdles, and interviews with them, then an interview with Dragila, but only one or two vaults, and a rabbitted boring 1500. You are right, our sport is having trouble competing.

Postby steveu » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:13 pm

I love track by far the best, but I'm a huge fan of most sports. While caring for my elderly father-in-law most evenings, who also loves sports, I've been watching in recent weeks:

The NBA Playoffs (my next fave sport)
The Atlanta Braves (fave team)
NCAA Tourney (Mich. State's my team)
The Masters
and so on and so on.

I read probably 75 percent of the USA Today sports section most days at lunch (I usually take 1.5 hours!) and get on the Web when I can in addition to track. I even was in an online NBA Fantasy league all season with 3 teams (about 15-25 min. a day). I'm nuts.

I love sports writing and while I devour all I can on track, perhaps my two favorite pieces of all time in Sports Illustrated were on Secratariat (William Nack) and Bill Russell (Frank Deford). This is all probably because I became a sports nut at age 10-11 and didn't discover running/CC/track til age 14. After a year of HS track/cc I'd finally found something I was good at and totally became a junkie of -- but never lost my interest in other sports.
steveu