susie faver hamilton

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Suzy Favor Hamilton

Postby gh » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:06 pm

>I'm in total agreement with Hmm on this one. Sure
>all world class athletes are overachievers when
>compared to the general population but that isn't
>the point. The comparison has to be with their
>athletic peers. And since she hasn't achieved
>anything at all in races that count post college
>her career has been one of total
>underachievement. >>

Let's see: winning a Golden League 1500 the status of Oslo, in a PR time, beating the Olympic 2-3-4-5 placers in the processs is "hasn't achieved anything"? I guess that means in 2000 there were only 20-odd successful women in the whole world and all the rest are useless pieces of shit? And I thought I was an elitist!
gh

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:51 pm

>I guess that means in 2000 there were only 20-odd
>successful women in the whole world and all the
>rest are useless pieces of shit?
I never said that...only that Suzy Favor-Hamilton has underachieved according to her talent.
Even an underachiever can still be far from "useless." It's called doing okay...mediocrity to some. Not the same as shitty.
Some will say running fast cures mediocrity...I say running fast is only part of the equation for an elite athlete. Doing exceptionally well with only part of the equation is underachieving IMHO.

>And I thought I
>was an elitist!
Stick with me, I'll train you! ;)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:52 pm

BTW, I sincerely appreciate the civility with which this possibly hot-button topic has been handled, as opposed to what happens on other boards.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:45 pm

Should/could Suzy move up to the 5, or even 10, for next year?? Same thing, probably - outkicked in last 100m.. but maybe she could win America's hearts by doing what Kennedy tried at Atlanta - push it from 800m out, and hope to take some of the 'kick' out of the others. Nah, what'm I talkin about.. NO ONE can do that in big races.. Maybe the Marathon for SFH?

Re: susie faver hamilton

Postby Anne Animus » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:12 pm

Or how about moving down to 100 meters? At least she won't get pushed around by other athletes there. :-p
Anne Animus