How does one get into The Bible?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

How does one get into The Bible?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:38 pm

I'm one of (many, I'm sure) who would like to write for, or even be an editor for, Track and Field News. I know the staff is small, has little turnover and I probably won't become a millionaire there ... but there's still nothing I'd rather do.

Help!

Re: How does one get into The Bible?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:42 pm

OK - you're hired. I can pay you $15,000 a year with the chance to increase that by at least 2% in the next 5 years. Oh, by the way, we are located in the Bay area where gas is $4.79 a gallon and you can get a 500 sq ft studio apt, cold and cold running water for less than $2000 a month, I'm sure. Start packing.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:51 am

Hey, I'll sleep in an abandoned building or a cardboard box on the sidewalk if it'll make a difference. I want it that bad (I'm not kidding, mostly).

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:18 am

well, rather than prostrate yourself in front of us all, contact him directly at
ghill@trackandfieldnews.com

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:24 am

I'm sure GH thanks you for that. I do, however, have a very nice large cardboard box in my garage I am willing to donate to the cause - it's approx. 32 sq.ft. and very clean.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:29 am

Sorry if it comes across as prostrating; I just thought others would like to know about becoming a T&FN writer or editor. I guess I'm a little more nervous about writing a private e-mail.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:09 am

OK, fine, I'll write it. Just cut and paste this:

Dear Your Royal Graciousness,
I am but an abject servant of your magnificent glorification. Please do not take offense that I humble myself before you in beseechment of a crumb that falls from your table. Should you look mercifully upon my supplication, I would forever be in your debt (literally). If I could just lick stamps for a year a two, I'm sure I could climb the corporate ladder to pencil sharpener forthwith. I shall be eternally grateful for any consideration you might deign to show me.

Me again - that should do the trick. He really is a very fine fellow, once you get past that harsh sarcastic exterior.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:21 am

How about you? Your sarcastic exterior is obviously quite thick.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:26 am

I apologize - that wasn't meant as a put down to you or gh - just thought I put a light spin on your situation. Seriously, write him and tell him what your qualifications are - you never know . . .

Postby bhall » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:07 pm

gh is flying today and won't be on-line; don't know if he will (can) be logging on over the weekend or not.
bhall

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:03 pm

>gh is flying today and won't be on-line; don't
>know if he will (can) be logging on over the
>weekend or not.

Is he on a plane or just vacationing in The Haight? :)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:23 pm

Well, I still hope he or some other T&FN staffer will comment on this thread, but of course you're right, I will have to contact someone personally sooner or later.

I have 10 years of sports writing experience, with the last 3 including at least some track & field work.

Dang, is gas really $4.69 there? I thought it was more like 2 bucks. It's about $1.45 here!

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:59 am

They seek him here, they seek him there
Those Boardies seek him everywhere
Is he in heaven, or is he in hell
That damned elusive EG-Hill.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:51 pm

Dear Journalist,

GH is the only one who can really answer your question, but you sound sincere, so if you'd like my input, contact me privately.

Postby gh » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:26 am

This thread got buried whilst I took a brief long-weekend's vacation, so I'm only now just digging it up.

There may be a few exceptions, but the basic rule for hiring for the magazine for decades has been that if and when we needed somebody (which is exceedingly rarely), then we put a notification in Track Newsletter, because if you didn't care about the sport and its essential numbers enough to subscribe to TN, then you basically didn't have a snowball's chance.

Now that eTN is free (with a magazine subscription) it's going to reach a LOT more people, but that would certainly be the first route we would take should a job ever come open in the editorial department. Track has to be at the very center of your being before you get hired at this joint.

gh
(e. garry hill/editor)

ps--I only paid $2.10 for gas yesterday!
gh

Postby MJD » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:53 am

>There may be a few exceptions,
>but the basic rule for hiring for the magazine
>for decades has been that if and when we needed
>somebody (which is exceedingly rarely), then we
>put a notification in Track Newsletter

Not for everyone:

"Again, Dick Drake made this happen. He called me at the newspaper with the best sales pitch he could have given on a late-winter Iowa night: "How would you like to come to California?" His editorial assistant had been drafted, and Dick needed a replacement right away. "

http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/current.html
MJD

Postby MJD » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:57 am

>This thread got buried whilst I took a brief
>long-weekend's vacation

That's what's nice about being an ex-pat, you get to celebrate both countries' holidays, in this case the civic holiday.
MJD

Postby dj » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:33 am

Ancient history. Half the people on this board weren't alive when Dick Drake hired Joe Henderson!
dj

Postby MJD » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:52 am

>Ancient history. Half the people on this board
>weren't alive when Dick Drake hired Joe
>Henderson!

>There may be a few exceptions,
>but the basic rule for hiring for the magazine
>for decades

Decades and ancient history are the same thing, at least to me with respect to T&FN. It can only be 55 years either way.
MJD