What is Ottey trying to prove?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

What is Ottey trying to prove?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:34 pm

Ottey has left nothing to the imagination of track fans. She continues to compete(at a snail's pace) although the writing is on the wall, robbing herself of the glory of being one of history's greatest sprinters. It was sad to see the veteran bringing up the rear at a recent Grand Prix Dash.Is she really trying to match strides with the youngsters at her age? or does she need the attention of some scientists for history purposes? It's ok to quit while she is ahead, she has already secured a place in history. Let "Lightning Bolt" continue to carry the flag of your former nation that you've singlehandedly put on the map. Am I too harsh on the veteran?

Re: What is Ottey trying to prove?

Postby Pego » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:58 pm

...and she is Slovenian, Kipketer Danish, Alozie Spanish, all of those Australian and Israeli pole-vaulters, French distance runners.... Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 21st Century.
Pego

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:06 pm

Yeah, I think you're a little hard on her. That GP race was not one of her better ones. I think she ran 11.17 earlier in the season, which is quite credible.

That said, if I were her decision-maker, I would have advised giving it up a few years ago, but I don't think she's embarrassing herself at this point.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:31 pm

she may still be running for the same reason people start for fun, look at how many times john kelly ran boston after he had no chance to win, bill rodgers still races. if this is fun for ottey she should continue and there are always age group records to chase.

Postby tracknut » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:01 pm

I've had the opportunity to see Willie Gault and James Lofton compete at All comers and Masters meets. Why do they do it? Because they can and have a passion to compete still. Anything wrong with that?
tracknut

Postby joel » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:17 pm

Plebs...If someone was willing to pay you to tour Europe's finest cities and hang out with the friends you've made in your occupation over the last 20 years, wouldn't you do it? No one is going to erase what she's already done. Perhaps her lifetime 100m average time will decrease, as will her win-loss record, but so what.

MJ for another season. B-ball or track.
joel

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:46 pm

Actually, I heard she was going to marry the 1992 Olympic 1500metre champion and she was trying to prove...

Fermin's Last Theorem!

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:30 am

>Plebs...If someone was willing to pay you to tour
>Europe's finest cities and hang out with the
>friends you've made in your occupation over the
>last 20 years, wouldn't you do it? No one is
>going to erase what she's already done. Perhaps
>her lifetime 100m average time will decrease, as
>will her win-loss record, but so what.

MJ for
>another season. B-ball or track.
Michael Johnson could have won many other medals and titles . He chose to quit while he was ahead. Boy! did it make a difference.

Postby The Flash » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:58 am

11.22 and 23.33 this year--both World Records for her age group. Is it possible she is still competing because she loves the sport? I think bashing athletes like Michael Jordan and Merlene Ottey for continuing to compete in a sport they love hurts "our" sport, in particular. There are thousands of athletes who compete at every age and at various levels of competition. This sport is not just for the elite and olympic athletes. Regardless of the level of competition, I think it is admirable for someone, of any age, to become the best they can be...or just to do it because they love it.
The Flash

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:26 am

Just a clear things up, it's Fermat's Last Theorem (Pierre Fermat 1601-1665) which he wrote in the margin of a book....it essentially said that there is no number which will solve a^n + b^n =c^n where the value of n is greater than 2...he postulated this around 1637 and the theorem puzzled mathematicians until about 10 years ago when a Princeton math professor proved it......

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:31 am

>Just a clear things up, it's Fermat's Last
>Theorem >>

Well duh! A little pun-challenged are we? I said she was going to marry the 1992 Olympic 1500 metre champion, who was FERMIN Cacho. Can you hear me now?

Postby blacklily » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:27 am

>Ottey has left nothing to the imagination of
>track fans. She continues to compete(at a snail's
>pace) although the writing is on the wall,
>robbing herself of the glory of being one of
>history's greatest sprinters. It was sad to see
>the veteran bringing up the rear at a recent
>Grand Prix Dash.Is she really trying to match
>strides with the youngsters at her age? or does
>she need the attention of some scientists for
>history purposes? It's ok to quit while she is
>ahead, she has already secured a place in
>history. Let "Lightning Bolt" continue to
>carry the flag of your former nation that you've
>singlehandedly put on the map. Am I too harsh on
>the veteran?

Yes, you're being too harsh. I wouldn't call a 4th place finish (7.20) in the 60m at the world indoor championships a snail's pace. She even won the 100m (11.25) at the European Cup, her second 100 of this season. She's not embarrassing herself yet.

She enjoys what she does, meet directors invite her to do it, she is setting world age-group records, & she is showing the younger athletes that they can extend their careers even further than they thought.
blacklily

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:42 am

, ok, ok, ok.....I was a little pun-challenged there....one too many clinks in the head with the discus, I guess......

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:48 am

I agree with you Blacklily....it`s beyond competing, she`s is doing something she loves to do ..it`s a lifestyle for her . And she is making money on top of it.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:00 am

she's competing today in Tallin, Estonia
can someone send over results

thanks

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:11 pm

Perhaps she is striving to be the kind of example which redefines our perceptions of what constitutes "age". I remember reading a description of the 1964 women's 400, written at the end of 1964, talking about how Aussie Betty Cuthbert "cranked her 26 year-old bones around the track" to win the gold. How times (and attitudes) have changed!

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:53 pm

I think that it is absurd for any "fan" to think that they should have any kind of say as to when certain athletes should or should not retire. Ottey may not have anything to prove, and she certainly does not need to prove anything to any of us. People are motivated to do what they do for a multitude of reasons, and as long as she still has the motivation to continue to train hard each and every day and give it all she has, more power to her, whatever her motivation may be. So what if it's not possible for her to be #1 anymore. That isn't her motivation and that should be okay for everyone because it obviously is okay for her, and I believe that what she feels is far more important than what any "fan" feels.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:57 pm

"I think that it is absurd for any "fan" to think that they should have any kind of say as to when certain athletes should or should not retire"

Thank you.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:01 am

Merlene Ottey did not put Jamaica on the map. Jamaica won a gold medal the first time ever it competed in the Olympic Games in 1948. The gold was in the 400m. Then there was the team that beat the US in '52 with the legendary Herb McKenley, Arthur Wint, Earl Laing and Rhoden. The first team ever to beat the much-vaunted US in the 4x400 relay, and then there was Donald Quarrie who by the way still holds the Pan Am 200 metre record at 19.86secs and won gold in the 200 in Montreal in '76, silver in the 100 behind surprise winner Hasley Crawford of Trinidad. There is also Deon Hemmings, Jamaica's first ever female gold medallist at the Olympics in the 400 metre hurdlers, Juliet Cuthbert, double silver-medallist in Seoul, and Gregory Haughton, and the list goes on and on. Merlene has done Jamaica proud but now she has ruined it, fist by running for Slovenia forsaking her heritage and second by trying to be the first women over 100 to attempt the 100m sprint.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:50 am

"Merlene has done Jamaica proud but now she has ruined it, fist by running for Slovenia forsaking her heritage and second by trying to be the first women over 100 to attempt the 100m sprint."

Why don't you just go by a new handle, like maybe, God, or something?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:23 pm

What chance of her making the 200 (or 100?) semis,or final, at Paris? That would be pretty amazing. If she makes a semi, I'm personally going to urge the announcer to give just a brief intro at the start: "in lane 2... the bronze medalist at the 1980 Olympic Games in Moscow..."
And she might be right next to someone who is 26 years younger. Hope she's there - the crowd will give her a big hand, no matter how she does.