Is Ato Boldon finished?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Is Ato Boldon finished?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:19 am

Since the Olympics, in 2000, Ato did not win a individual medal in any major event and is struggling to get to his best shape, is he finished?

Re: Is Ato Boldon finished?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:25 am

As a top 5 sprinter in the 100/200 yes I think he's finished. However, he has Darrell Brown and Mark Burns(I believe that's right) to work with on the 4x100. If they find one more respectable guy they can finish top 5 in the 4x100. They can't beat the USA or the Brits straight up,but they are competitive with everyone else.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:00 pm

As you said, with Brown, the 100 WJ Champion and Burns, the WJ silver medallist and a third athlete he could be in contention for bronze in the relays against my country, Brazil, Cuba, Nigeria and Jamaica.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:49 pm

Brazilian track fan, How do you see the men's 4x100 playing out? yes your boyz are pretty good! Andre da Silva, Claudenai da Silva, Claudio Sousa, and Edison Ribeiro. Is this their top 4?

Postby Orange » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:30 pm

Nothing lasts forever. Ato has been near the top of the world rankings in both the 100 & 200 meters since 1995. His performances in those events heavily populate the alltime listings.
Ato's problems are mainly attributable to injuries sustained over the past two years.
Unfortunately Ato will never be given his due because his career was overshadowed by the likes of Baily & Greene + Johnson & Fredericks. His only Senior Championship Gold came in the 97 World Champs in the 200 meters.
Can you imagine running 9.86 four different times & still not be regarded as the best on your own track club?
Ato has his own website: AtoBoldon.com Its loaded with info & interesting stats.
Fastest flat footed guy in history!
Orange

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:57 pm

>Can you imagine
>running 9.86 four different times & still not be
>regarded as the best on your own track club?

That's like UCLA varsity basketball in 1966 (before freshman elegibility): Number 1 in the nation, but Number 2 on campus (the freshman squad had someone named Alcindor).

Postby gh » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:54 pm

>>That's like UCLA varsity
>basketball in 1966 (before freshman elegibility):
>Number 1 in the nation, but Number 2 on campus
>(the freshman squad had someone named Alcindor).>

Not really. UCLA won the NCAA in '65 but was doodoo (relatively speaking) in '66 and didn't even compete in the NCAA Tournament (although as I recall, in those days, only the Pac-8 champion got to go, so they could have been fairly high ranked and still not gone).

Starting in '67 UCLA then won 7 in a row.
gh

Postby br » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:03 pm

For the who cares dept....
back in '66, there was no PAC-8. It was still the AAWU.
br

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:31 am

DF just wanted us to know that Alcindor was on campus

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:25 am

Rustyjaguar,

Our team is good, but the three most important sprinter that we have: Claudinei Quirino da Silva, André Domingues da Silva e Edson Luciano Ribeiro are 30 years or over, so we need some young blood.
Claudinei is 33 and his best days as a 200 sprinter are in the past. André is running the 200 and is better than the 100 and Edson ran 10.20 this year.
I believe that they are going to be contenders for the bronze or silver... but uk is very strong so it is possible for them to get bronze.
The fourth member, could be Claudo Souza, Vicente Lenilson, who ran the first leg of the silver medal team in Sydney or a kid name Sena, who is a junior and qualified for the pan am games

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:40 am

Hey Brazilian Track Fan, What ever happened to the most recognizable sprinter you had in Brazil Robson Da Silva?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:53 am

Robson Caetano da Silva retired from international competition in 1997, in the WC in Athens where he ran the relay if I am not mistaken.
Nowadays he is working in a tv network as a sports reporter and traing to get attention to our sport.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:58 am

Hey Brazil, What about Sanderlai Parrela? Where did he disappear to?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:09 am

After the Olympics, where he placed fourth he continued competing but never achieved the same sucess.
I believe that he is going to be in the pan am games, I am not sure about the individual event, but it is sure that he is going to run in the relay.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:38 pm

ato is the king he is the master of
100 m

he only start

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:08 pm

Ato actually looked surprisingly good at this meet. With the emergence of Brown he will be motivated to hang around if even for a shot at a relay medal in Athens.

As useful as their relay squads look I don't think either Trinidad or Brazil can beat Jamaica at full strength.

Jamaica can call on Asafa Powell(10.05) Dwight Thomas (10.12) Usain Bolt (20.13) plus any of NCAA silver medallist Frater, Chris Williams 200 silver at the last worlds and this years PAN Ams, Ricardo Williams (20.4)... Thats a tough squad.

I remember them being robbed at last years Commonwealth Games with Asafa Powell running down Darren Cambell of GB on anchor. Since then they have added Bolt.