Usain “Lightening” Bolt could run sub 44.00 by next Fall ??

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Usain “Lightening” Bolt could run sub 44.00 by next Fall ??

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:51 am

Usain “Lightening” Bolt could run sub 44.00 by next Fall for the 400 meters!!.

I personally think Usain Bolt is focusing on at least sub 20.00 seconds this year for the 200 meters. What happens next year will be even more phenomenal. I think Bolt will focus both on the 200 meters and the 400 meters for the next Olympics. The fact that this lad is not heavily competing in the 400 meters this year is strategic. After all the world recognize him in Paris this summer with perhaps a sub 20.00 clocking over the 200 meters the soon to be “National treasure of Jamaica”, will no doubt set is sight on the 400 meters where in an untested race earlier this summer he clocked 45.35 seconds. With improved blazing speed this summer and more strength training and a greater focus on the 400 meters over the next year perhaps starting this fall sub 44 seconds might not be any problem for this phenomenon!!!.

Gab the track guru

Re: Usain “Lightening” Bolt could run sub 44.00 by next Fal

Postby Brutal » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:02 am

Slow down dude!

You do remember......

Obea Moore
Carter Suggs
Francis Baldwin
Cyril Wyatt
Clinton Davis
Don Webster
Derrick Florence

right?
Brutal

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:20 am

William Reed

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:21 am

enough with the hokey "Lightning" name. It is terrible. He can run sub 44 and if you continue to him add that silly nickname in there I'll have to plug my ears and yell "I'm not listening" until his career ends.

Other options for nicknames-

Nuts & Bolt
Fabric Bolt
Rifle Bolt
Thunderbolt
Bolt Away
Bolt from the Blue
Bolt Upright

I mean it's just hokey. It's like boxing or something. And there are a lot of sports we should model ourselves after, boxing ain't one of them.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:22 am

I understand why you think this could happen. I'm not sure he could go sub 44 next year, maybe the year after(2005). I still think he could go sub 20 this year when pushed. He could go below 44.4 next year, but remember he's only 16 or 17.By the time he is 20, I definitely think he is sub 19.9 and sub 44 material. It takes alot of strength training and relaxation training to be able to be efficient in the last 100 of the 400. With his natural speed he could break 44.00 in a couple of years, but lets give him time to reach his top speed levels before he moves up to the 400.

Re: Usain “Lightning” Bolt could run sub 44.00 by next Fall

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:15 am

In direct response to "ACK" I did not nickname him "LIGHTNING" the fans and the world media did. It is a befiting term since it seems that people get struck by true speed. I do not know how to help you get comfortable with the terma but you will see it a lot.

Gab

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:17 am

With direct response to "brutal" I will not compare Athletes. Somtimes there is no comparison.

Gab

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:19 am

I think that he could do that if he focus on the event...but at this point in his career his focus is on the 200, and I really believe that he can get a medal in the WC and Olympics.
I am sure that he is going to be in the 200 final in the WC, and if there is no surprise he will be in the top 3.
If you look at the times running so far in the season, it is a very open race, and he is going to break the WJR and maybe get under 20.00 in the finals.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:33 am

If the media continues to call him "Lightning" I can only hope they drop the Usain, like "Macho" Camacho (sp?), The Macho Man (Randy Savage), The Nature Boy (Rick Flair), etc. Wow, the more I start thinking about bad nicknames less I like "Lightning." How about Usain In The Brain (remote musical reference)? Or Usain I'm Not The Badest?

Maybe nicknames are a good thing? Kevin "Tanker Truck" Toth? Ingo "Achtung" Shultz?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:39 am

"Brazilian Track fan" is very rational in his analysis. I agree with you.

Gab

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:58 am

>In direct response to "ACK" I did not nickname
>him "LIGHTNING" the fans and the world media
>did. >>

No, actually sir, you named him "Lightening" which led me to believe he was undergoing a Michael Jackson-like depigmentation process.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:22 pm

Is it just me, or is euan the ONLY person giving us info on Usain Bolt. I feel like he is Bolt's PR guy or something. Maybe he is his dad? whatever the case, running fast times like that at his age, although incredible, scares me. He is a great talent and I hope nothing but the best for him, but I also hope his body will be able to carry him through to his mid 20's. I just have the feeling in the back of my mind that he is just another fenom that runs fast young but burns out. I could be wrong so who knows, nothing is absolute.

Postby Orange » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:01 pm

With all the publicity this guy is getting at such a young age, I wonder if he has the personality & maturity to handle the media & the usual temptations all superstar athletes are confronted with. We all agree that his potential is enormous & he may be the next Michael Johnson.
Lets sit back & see how he fares at this year's World Championships. I would imagine he will run the 200 meters & do a 400 meter stint in the 4x400
meter relay.
We all have to keep in mind that sub 44.00 has only been accomplished lifetime (excluding altitude assisted locations) by ONLY 5 men :
Johnson,Reynolds,Watts,Everett & S. Lewis.
Even today's best 400 meter runner, Tyree Washington has never come close to cracking 44 seconds. (44.28 PB).
I'm a patient fan. Someday he might surprise us all, and time will tell. Michael Johnson came into his own after college, so lets just all enjoy watching Usain tear up Age Group & World Junior records for the time being.
Does anybody have any inside info on whether or not he plans to run for a U.S. based college?
Orange

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:28 pm

So what if euan is bolt's PR man. He would be a lucky man to have such connections. Bolt is going to be an household name if he remains healthy. He is a star in the making. His name cannot be mentioned too much. I've heard Carl Lewis' name at least a couple thousand time over a ten year period. It's cool getting use to another.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:14 pm

I hope Usain Bolt does run sub-19.9 and sub-44 in the next two years. Otherwise, many members of this board will brand him a complete failure for not living up to "their" expectations (re: Alan Webb).

He's 16 years old, going on 17. There's a lot that can happen in the coming years that is beyond anyone's control.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:32 pm

I do believe its possible that Usain could run sub 44, but the problem is that he will hv to be going against people who run 44's, because if you all dont know, whenever he's ahead, he usually turns around and looks at the competition. Now that i think bout it, he might have ran a 44.something- already that time when he ran a 45.35, but he turned around. What do you all think? Oh, my source comes from my boy who has ran against Bolt several times so far.

Postby ndamix » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:43 am

Usain has a better chance at breaking 20 seconds in the 200 than running a sub-44 400.

First off, I don't think he physiologically capable of doing a sub-44 400 at this time. He's still growing and he has to adjust to the changes his body is going through.

Once he finishes growing, I'm sure he'll be able to challenge the 44 second barrier.
ndamix

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:43 pm

I said sub 44 by next fall(not now) remember next year is olympics year. I think Bolt is capable of running sub 45 seconds for the 400 meters right now(even though he is not focusing on it). He is also capable of about 20.00 seconds for the 200 meters presently.Bolt will try to cap off this season with a sub 20.00 clocking for the 200 meters, rest for awhile and then I think he and his coach will start focusing more on the 400 meters later this year in preparation for the 200/400 combination for next the next Olympics.

Gab.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:39 pm

so

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:43 pm

>Once he finishes growing, I'm sure he'll be able to challenge the 44 second barrier.<

Let's hope he doesn't read this Board. If he does, his body will have to grow to about 15 feet to adequately contain his ego.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:19 am

He seems quite level-headed for such a young kid but I dont get the impression that celebrity will make him waver. He seems quite prepared for what may come if he continues to perform that current levels. He is fast, incredibly fast. I saw him at the World Juniors and he is fast.

Postby DentyCracker » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:34 am

The JAAA are not letting him run the flat race at the world champs. Despite running 20.13 they do not think his training has prepared him to run four rounds of 200M. He will not run sub 44 until 2005 is my gut feeling. He will run sub 20 at the Olympics if he is properly prepared. He is 6'5" and has the physical tools. I am surprised that they think he is not ready. I last saw him in February and he looked more muscular than last year but I suppose that is just growth. I have been following him for a few years (2000) and he is going to be great barring injury.
DentyCracker

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:54 pm

i was lucky enough to race william reed in 87 he was a freak. And also in that race was a dude by the name of steve lewis who was left trailing way behind, and look what he did in the next 12 months won the olympics and broke a world junior record. And we never herd from william reed again so who knows he could become the very best ever or another also ran i hope he progresses as we need a superstar in track.