Usain Bolt,

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Usain Bolt,

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:13 pm

Wow, a 16 year old Jamaican sprinting 20.13 which they adjusted from 19.94 and he is not the favorite for the 200m finals in Paris. wooooow

Re: Usain Bolt,

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:18 pm

I missed something here. What do you mean they adjusted his time to 20.13 from 19.94?

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:18 pm

what adjustment?

Postby huh? » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:53 pm

Let me join the chorus. What the hell are you talking about?
huh?

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:34 pm

The chorus grows louder Shawn, speak or face certain increasing complaints.
P.S What is Bolts current 400m ability, apparently he ran the qualifying rounds in Sherbrooke.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:47 am

45.35 at the boys championship in April 2003. He was untested.

I personsal think BOLT will be running sub 44 next year for this event. See Thread that I started that says that BOLT will run 19.9 by this summer.

Gab track guru

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:26 pm

My boy Adrian Durant from St. Croix who runs for University of South Carolina during the school year ran against Bolt. He said he saw it say 19.-something as well, but then they adjusted it. I'm not sure why, but, Adrian was there, and he said the same thing.

Postby silvahawk21 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:03 am

wsup vaun, i ran in hs with Adrian. how is he doing? have not talked to him in a while.
silvahawk21

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:17 am

"45.35 at the boys championship in April 2003. He was untested.

I personsal think BOLT will be running sub 44 next year for this event. See Thread that I started that says that BOLT will run 19.9 by this summer.

Gab track guru"

Didn't Obea Moore run a similar time in HS?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:25 am

There have been a few runners who have run low 45's at a very early age. Bolt is not Obea Moore, so you can't say that he will fade away like Obea did. Just look at the Harrison brothers, they ran fast in high school and are still among the worlds best today. Too bad they are inconsistent.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:36 am

jerome young and obea both ran 45.01 & 45.02 at
the jr. world champs in 95 or 96. jerome PR. is 44.09. i don't know if obea ever ran under 45.

this kid sound good, but you have to run the times
not talk about his times, what has happen to
arvard moncur and angelo taylor. they ran great
early in there careers but no word from them lately. i hope the kid does well, but you "only
as good as your last race"

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:49 am

"jerome young and obea both ran 45.01 & 45.02 at
the jr. world champs in 95 or 96. jerome PR. is 44.09. i don't know if obea ever ran under 45.

this kid sound good, but you have to run the times
not talk about his times, what has happen to
arvard moncur and angelo taylor. they ran great
early in there careers but no word from them lately. i hope the kid does well, but you "only
as good as your last race""

I agree with hurdles/sprints. There are plenty of examples of guys who run fast early but never take the next step. I grew up in the Washington, D.C. area; there was a sprinter at an area high school in Maryland named Ato Modibo. He ran 45.86 his senior year in HS. He then went to South Carolina, where he never really improved.

Sure, the Harrison twins have improved somewhat (an earlier poster mentioned them), but they did not turn into the next great 400m runners in the track and field world. They are merely good runners who might run a 44 high on a good day and typically get 5th or 6th in races.

The examples of Moncur and Taylor (above) are relevant, and of course Moore is the prime example: he never ran faster than he did his junior year in HS (I think it was actually a 45.13).

My point is this: Usain Bolt has run some damn fast times for his age (or for any age, for that matter). However, I don't think people should jump on his bandwagon until he:

a. takes the next step and
b. proves that he can CONSISTENTLY perform at a higher level

We have no idea what's going to happen to this kid. He might be the next Michael Johnson. But the odds of that happening are not good (the odds are not good no matter who you are or what kind of talent you have).

So I really wish people would stop posting about how this kid is the greatest thing ever to come along. Maybe he'll be great. But if he goes downhill people will write the same kind of messages about him on this board as they do about Alan Webb now.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:00 am

Hey, Bolt turns 17 in 2 weeks !!

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:52 pm

This is what "No Name" quoted

"I agree with hurdles/sprints. There are plenty of examples of guys who run fast early but never take the next step. I grew up in the Washington, D.C. area; there was a sprinter at an area high school in Maryland named Ato Modibo. He ran 45.86 his senior year in HS. He then went to South Carolina, where he never really improved."

Okay you say Ato never really improved? What do you consider an improvement?

-In his frosh year(1999)he ran 45.33

-In 2001 he ran 44.87 to win ACC's

He has also battled injuries (like we all do) and different training stages. I'm sure Ato is working hard to get his form back.

He went to Clemson. I didn't know if you meant South Carolina as the state or the school....

So if dropping a second from what you ran in HS is not an improvement then I don't know what is.

"Is easier said than done"

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:56 pm

REVISED from my last post

This is what "No Name" wrote

"I agree with hurdles/sprints. There are plenty of examples of guys who run fast early but never take the next step. I grew up in the Washington, D.C. area; there was a sprinter at an area high school in Maryland named Ato Modibo. He ran 45.86 his senior year in HS. He then went to South Carolina, where he never really improved."

He has also battled injuries (like we all do) and different training stages. I'm sure Ato is working hard to get his form back.

He went to Clemson. I didn't know if you meant South Carolina as the state or the school....

So if dropping a second from what you ran in HS is not an improvement then I don't know what is.

"Its easier said than done"

Adrian

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:48 pm

To Silva Hawk,

Yo, Adrian has improved like crazy. He posted the fastest times on U. of South Carolina's team in the 100 and 200 (10.37 and 20.83) and he's only a freshman--well, sophmore now. He's also the premier athlete for the US Virgin Islands and they pretty much send him to all these meets all over the planet.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:38 am

RBTrackshow wrote: "REVISED from my last post

This is what "No Name" wrote

"Its easier said than done""

I think you might be missing my point a bit. My post was really about Usain Bolt, and about the trials and tribulations he will probably face on the road ahead. I was using the other runners as examples to show how hard it will be for him to take the next step. As you say, "its easier said than done;" that is EXACTLY what I'm saying. While many people on this board have posted messages to the effect of "Usain will be running sub-44 next summer," I am merely saying that we should wait a bit and see what happens.

Frankly, the track and field graveyard is littered with runners who displayed early talent and never took the next step (or, in many cases, stepped backwards). For example, the U.S. high school record for the 200 is 20.13. 20.13!!! But you didn't see Roy Martin on the medal stand in '88 or '92.

In fact, it seems to me that world-class sprinters are often late bloomers, rather than early ones. Michael Johnson did very little in college due to numerous injuries; as we all know, the rest is history. Quincy Watts had only moved up to the 400 16 months before he ran 43.50 in the Olympics. Maurice Greene didn't really have a college career to speak of, then got good in his early 20s. Donovan Bailey didn't get good until his late 20s. This list could go on and on.

The point is, the odds are heavily against Usain Bolt achieving true greatness.

Since your post concerned Ato Modibo specifically, I'm happy to address him as well. Sure, Ato improved his time, and he was a damn good college runner for a couple years. But he has not turned into the next great American quarter miler, and I don't think he ever will. I would say that his serious competitive career is probably over.

Postby Anne Animus » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:51 am

>Since your post concerned Ato
>Modibo specifically, I'm happy to address him as
>well. Sure, Ato improved his time, and he was a
>damn good college runner for a couple years. But
>he has not turned into the next great American
>quarter miler, and I don't think he ever will.

I don't think he ever will, either. He'd need to become an American citizen first.
Anne Animus

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:14 pm

Hi, Im runner from Slovakia and I was fascinated like many of you with the time Bolt achieved. Before visiting this website Ive never heard about Obea Moore. I just cant believe, how fast this kid was!!! His times for 400m, but also for 200m and 800m (not only acording to his age) are amazing. Can you tell me what happened to him? I have done some searching on web, found out that he really never improved after his 45.13 performance. Was he injured than and stopped with running? Or what happened to him? If anyone of you know something about his story, please can you write down some infos about him, his career and about what happened to him? Thank you a I wish to all of you all the best + a lot of HEALTH. Andy

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:54 pm

One of the most impressive young runners I ever saw was sixteen years ago when I watched William Reed from Central H.S. in Philadelphia lower all kinds of records as he blistered around all tracks. Reed eventually went to Morehouse University following in the footsteps of another great,Edwin Moses. However, once Reed reached Morehouse I never heard another track story about him. All the best to the young Bolt! We will be watching and hoping for the best young man! I guess Herb Mckinnley a Jamaican great & current Calibar H.S. Coach is mentoring the youngster.

Postby speedfan » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:06 am

I was there cuz i'm a technical official from barbados and the flash time was 19.94 that was then adjusted to 20.13
speedfan

Postby tandfman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:38 am

That still doesn't explain what happened. What generated the "flash" time and what generated the 20.13? What timing system was used at the meet?
tandfman

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:47 am

Clearly, it was the same system they used to show a 9.53 (did they really announce it as a World Record in the stadium?) for the hand-timed 10-flats in London last weekend.

Postby speedfan » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:09 am

you people can doubt all u want but usain is the real thing and he is going to be in the top three in paris unless every one runs under 20 secs.I mean the guy ran 20.6 in qualifying with no one pushing him and when he ran 20.13 still no one going with him to the line.I am pretty sure he will run 19 point in paris with the kind of competition that will be there but let me leave u doubters eith this.Only five people have run under 20.20 this year and only two under 20 .
speedfan

Postby Powell » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:19 am

Only five people have
>run under 20.20 this year and only two under 20
>.

Where did you get that?
In fact, no one has run under 20 so far this year, but 10 men have been under 20.20
20.01 Bernard Williams USA
20.02 Shawn Crawford USA
20.03 Shingo Suetsugu JPN
20.04 Coby Miller USA
20.05 J.J. Johnson USA
20.13 Usain Bolt JAM
20.14 Darvis Patton USA
20.15 Andre da Silva BRA
20.16 Maurice Greene USA
20.17 John Capel USA
Powell

Postby Powell » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:33 am

In fact, though, Bolt has the 3rd fastest time of the year among the athletes who will be doing the 200 in Paris - Williams, Crawford and Miller are not on the US team.
Powell

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:52 am

It seems as if Bolt might miss the WC later this month. He has been unable to train because of conjuncitivitis. The Jamaica track administration is considering pulling him from the team.