Powell and Sanchez

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Powell and Sanchez

Postby Franko » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:57 pm

Andy Powell and Franklyn Sanchez ran some great races against each other in New England in the late '90s. Andy went to Stanford to pursue the sub-4 and Sanchez went to Georgetown. Andy never got much better at Stanford (one of many) and Franklyn ran well at Georgetown until he got hurt. I believe he broke Pre's record for 5000 just before the injury. Where are these guys now or are they part of the mass that just fade away?
Franko

Re: Powell and Sanchez

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:55 pm

As long as a 3:40 as a college freshman (#1 freshman in the country) is NOT good. He's been injured often since then, which is, of course, Stanford's fault, except for the fact that so many there are NOT injured, and year in and year out they excel at the distances. Vin is universally regarded as one of the country's best collegiate coaches, which is exactly why so many of the country's best go there. I'm also sure that Andy doen't have very much good to say about Stanford or Vin. Thanks for the insult.

Re: Powell and Sanchez

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:35 am

I think Vin is more universally known as a brilliant recruiter and a decent coach. Outside of Stanford alums that tends to be the perception.

btw... I think Vin is a fine coach, perhaps top 10 in the country... but certainly by no means the best. McDonnel def takes the cake on that one...