Why Are Athlete Sponsors Listed in the Results?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Why Are Athlete Sponsors Listed in the Results?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:09 pm

Why is it the norm for newspaper and magazine track results to list the name of the athlete followed by the shoe company that provides the individual with dollars or free equipment? It gives the sponsor publicity, but what possible purpose does this serve most fans? It would be much more informative to list the competitors' hometowns as was done in the old days.

It's bad enough that most runners look like clones during races because so many are wearing the same Nike jersey. I for one miss the 1960s and 1970s when you could watch a meet and learn something about the participant by the name of their track club, such as where they are training or who their coach is.

I imagine that some track boosters would say sponsorships listings are good for the sport as it gives shoe companies more incentive to support athletes. But with TV viewership and meet attendance down, more needs to be done to market individual athletes, and promoting their sponsor does not seem to be the solution.

Re: Why Are Athlete Sponsors Listed in the Results?

Postby twinpeeks » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:05 pm

Affliation
twinpeeks

Re: Why Are Athlete Sponsors Listed in the Results?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:35 pm

I don't miss the 60's and 70's. How many women were competing, allowed to compete, paid to compete? Unless you are funding some of these elites then why don't you stop and thank those shoe companies for doing same? You can figure out where they are from yourself. If nike et.al. weren't paying these athletes I don't see alot of others stepping up to do it.