5k runners

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

5k runners

Postby trkfan » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:20 pm

when are our 5k guys going to try to get qualifying times? being a illinois native i am anxious to see how broe and torres do. how much more time do they have?
trkfan

Re: 5k runners

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:21 pm

i think they have until august 13th.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:18 am

Why couldn't Stanford have set up a fast 5K race like it does for the 10K, so the poor saps wouldn't have to be chasing A qualifiers in the month before the WC.

Is the 10,000 viewed as more of a glamor event thus attracting more focus.

I think the 5,000 needs a boost. The event has really stagnated in recent years in the U.S. May be some of the 1500 guys should move up.

Postby gh » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:59 am

>when are our 5k guys going to try to get
>qualifying times? being a illinois native i am
>anxious to see how broe and torres do. how much
>more time do they have?>>

Torres already has a B qualifier. Unless Broe (1st) or Goucher (2nd) come up with a B qualifier (13:25.40) Torres stays on the team as the only entrant.

Broe had such a bad back after the win at Stanford he could barely walk. Don't know what kind of progress he has made since.
gh

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:38 am

Goucher and Torres are scheduled for 3 5ks in Europe. Both with get the A standard in under 13:20 time. Broe is out with a bad back. I would rather these guys go for the standard in late July than have to peak in May like the rest of the suckers in the US who think the Cardinal Qualifier and Mt SAC are the key races of the year. This way they're at their best when they try and get the qualifier while still being able to mantain and perfect their peak for the WC. If Goucher stays healthy through 2006 he will be the new AR holder in the 3k and 5k... and if he has an interest, the 10k as well.

M

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:20 am

Boy, things are worst among US 5k runners than even the mile. Where are those great US 5k runners from the 80's. It seems like a century ago that Bob Kennedy ran the 5000.

Who should take the blame for the horrible showing by US distance runners this year. I think the blame should go all the way to the top.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:30 am

Who is at the top Annoying? Masback? Anyway, I don't think its as bad as you make it out to be.

Culpepper, Meb, Goucher, Torres, Broe (when healthy), Ritz (when healthy) are/will be/can be all 13:10 types or even faster. I'm a bit surprised that Meb has not raced a 5k yet in Europe... Pepper we know hates leaving home, Torres has a bad back, and Goucher and Torres will soon enough have the A standard. Give our guys another 2 months. Miling in the US... now that is another matter! And why aren't guys like Derek Peterson, Khadevis Robinson, etc in Europe running the 800... weird. Trinity Gray did it foir a while, Jhonny Gray of course did, Parilla, etc... all went to Europe. Are peaople afraid to fly or something?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:35 am

One meet you might look for them in is the "Night of Athletics" in Hechtel coming up about August 2 or 3. A lot of our guys have traditionally gone to that mid-level meet to chase times. That's where Meb ran his 13:11 and Rogers his 13:18 a few years back.

Postby dl » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:42 am

Conto-Do you REALLY think Goucher has a chance to run 12:58? How many people in the world are running sub-13:00? Not many. I hope he does it, but let's just hope he gets back to his 7:34/13:11 form.
dl

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:42 am

What the US distance running needs today is mentioned below.

Doug Padilla was one of the best US 5000meter runners ever. His kick at the end of the indoor 5000m at Madison Square Garden was thrilling. He would be in the mid pack of a race then all of a sudden he would accelerate like a F-14 leaving an aircraft carrier. I would go as far to say that Doug Padilla was the most exciting performer I have ever seen at the Garden. I remember one race where Padilla nearly out kicked Said Aouita in the 3000meters. In this race Said Aouita looked pretty confident in the lead then all of a sudden Padilla kicks and Aouita is caught off guard. Aouita barely holds off Padilla in the final stretch. After the race Aouita looked a little shocked. "Who was that guy", Aouita was heard muttering. Some time later Padilla set a US indoor 5k record that still stands today.

This is the kind of competitor the US 5000 meter squad needs today.

Postby trackstar » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:50 am

>Why couldn't Stanford have set up a fast 5K race
>like it does for the 10K, so the poor saps
>wouldn't have to be chasing A qualifiers in the
>month before the WC.

Yeah, and plus they could benefit from that short track!

(Just kidding - sorry, couldn't resist. Actually, I think that's a great idea.)
trackstar

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:05 am

Look at Goucher and Kennedy:

Both are tough as nails
Neither are "scared" of the Africans
Both think their potential is near limitless

Goucher got 2nd at NCAA cross as a frosh and Kennedy won. Goucher won senior year, ran very fast in the 3k and 5k indoors, and has a 3:54 mile to boot. He had a better collegiate career than BK really.

The differences between BK and Adam are simply that Bob ran injury free for a long time. I could realistically see a healthy trained Gouche for the next 3-4 years running a 12:56.

I feel 100% confident saying that Goucher is BY FAR, the most talented individual in the 5k that the US has. Anyone else who can run 3:54 (but probably not much faster than 1:490 at scuh a young age would think they are a miler not a 5k guy. He has all the tools... the speed, the mental strength, the guts. All he is missing is 3-4 years STRAIGHT of un-interupted training.

IF he can do that... and that is a HUGE if, he will be a force on the INTERNATIONAL level. I would go SO FAR to say that if he had un-interupted training from now til 2008 he would be considered a medal contender as much if not more so than BK was in 1996.

M

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:44 pm

Like Coghlan, Padilla ran indoors for the money one could make in a limited quality field (no tenth place in the mile in 3:52 like outdoors).
By the time outdoors came around, he was pretty ordinary, good enough to be one of the top US guys, but not much else. Maybe a fast time somewhere along the way.
Far from being impressive, he looked quite helpless in most outdoor races. The LA 5,000 comes quickly to mind

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:27 pm

In his final season he managed to make the Olympic finals.

Padilla's career was definitely checkered. He had some horrible out door races. But he bounced back for those bad races. Maybe Alan Webb is the same way. Next year could be Webb's breakout season.
After Padilla ran a dreadful 14:15 at the Pan American games people wrote him off. The following year he was back breaking 13:20 on a regular basis. Later he would run a PR in the 5000meter of 13:14.
If Padilla can come back from the ashes so can Webb. Even Webb never sank to the depths Padilla did at the Pan American games.

After Padilla's bad Pan American run either Track and Field news or Running times did a feature article entitled Why America can't compete. Pictured to the side of the article was a picture of Padilla dying on the track at the Pan American games. The author tried to compare US distance running woes with the decline of American industrial might. It was such an odd comparison that I still remember the article to this day. I wonder what the author would think of today's US distance runners.

I would rank Padilla among the 20 greatest US distance runners of all time. He will be remembered for that "jet-like" kick at the end of his best races. That kick was his weapon against the great African runners of the time. If the race was a tactical one in the 13:20+ range watch out for Padilla!

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:09 pm

In 1985, Doug Padilla was the first overall IAAF Grand Prix champion. He accumulated 63 points and that was enough to not only be #1 in the 5000m, he was aslo the overall champ. Not as lucrative as it is now, but quite an accomplishment, nonetheless.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:47 am

I do now remember Padilla winning the Grand Prix. He won not because he was necessarily the fastest but for his overall consistency during the season.