HSI's Jackpot Stance A Mistake?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

HSI's Jackpot Stance A Mistake?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:20 am

Check out the story on the front page here about HSI being all in a lather about having client Allen Johnson screwed out of a chance at the Golden League jackpot because the Oslo meet promoter wouldn't pay a big enough appearance fee.

Let's assume that the Norwegian dude indeed did the dirty, and used leverage in an unfair manner. Still, hasn't HSI management blown it big time by pissing away at Johnson's very good chance at the million bucks? They couldn't have been more than $25K or so apart on the appearance figure could they? Seems like a small price to pay for the shot at the million. Doesn't make sense to this bloke.

Re: HSI's Jackpot Stance A Mistake?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:22 am

One of these days, an athlete is going to sue his rep for malpractice in a situation like this. And maybe win.

Postby MJD » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:29 am

HSI are a bunch of babies. Everybody was just making what they thought were good business decisions. Last I checked, capitalism seems to have won the day. You don't like the fee-don't go. If that has consequences-deal with it. Don't blame anyone else.
MJD

Postby MJD » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:37 am

And I have no idea what point the HSI press release is making here:
"Although many would think this to be a good marketing concept, it is not fully utilized due to it being shortsighted when it comes to the athletes. Should an athlete risk injury and limit further performances for the chance to share in a prize? Like most other sports, athletes need to be paid and know what they will earn at their profession. It is not fair that the meet directors receive all the benefits."

HSI seems to want it several different ways here. They seem to want the "shortsightedness" to be encouraged by offering people the fee so they can go for the million dollars but want to be able to complain about it at the same time.
MJD

Postby tafnut » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:54 am

Wow! Whoever is responsibile for issuing that press release just shot themselves in the foot big time. I like HSI, but this really makes them look like a bunch of crybabies. They knew what was at stake by not accepting whatever Oslo's offer was. If I'm the Oslo MD, I know that I've got AJ over a barrel and I save my money for someone else. That's just simple economics. I actually think T&FN should consider taking that off their site as a service to HSI! Not very many people will buy their side. I'm all over this board as a huge AJ fan, but he got really bad advice in this case.
tafnut

Postby MJR » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:07 pm

Solution is getting rid of appearance fees altogether. They're a last remnant of the old under-the-table payments to the amateurs and need to disappear. These "Leagues" & "Tours" need to sign athletes to contracts (or make them qualify to compete based upon performances) like all the other sports do and have adequate prize monies based upon finishes. It makes it simple, the sports financial makeup is more public = better appreciation of the amount that people make. End this stupid sense of entitlement to get pid just for showing up that HSI and others have. All that does it get egos like Carl and MJ had and the negativity that they gave back to the media as a result.
MJR

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:47 pm

If only it would really work that way. Tennis's dirty secret is that the big stars still won't play anywhere but a Grand Slam type of match without an appearance fee. And so long as there are enough big touraments with enough big bucks that they players can get rich by only playing in some of them, they'll continue to play the promoters against each other. Would be no different in track if we went to a no-appearance-fee rule. One shark would try to out-eat the others.

And in track, already, guess what happens if you want a big star to show up a day or two early, do a dog and pony show for the local media. Bling-bling, baby! An appearance fee by any other name....

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:59 pm

Another HSI issue why are many of their stars not in Europe? Tisha Waller, Regina, where is drummond? to name a few.

Postby MJD » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:02 pm

>Solution is getting rid of appearance fees
>altogether.

It's free enterprise. Leave it alone.
MJD

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:08 pm

>Another HSI issue why are many of their stars not
>in Europe? Tisha Waller, Regina, where is
>drummond? to name a few.>>

The choice to be in Europe rests with the meet promoters, not the clubs. w/ HSI's drooping profile, fewer of their marginal people are going to get into major meets than used to ("if you want Mo, you gotta take...")

Waller dropped out of nationals while still alive because of a stress fracture. Jacobs rarely runs in Europe this time of year. Drummond ran 10.10 to Prague GP, had decent mark in Lausanne GP!

Postby twinpeeks » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:53 pm

Tish Waller has not been HSI since 1999
twinpeeks