Regina Jacobs: Running Outside ot Time

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Regina Jacobs: Running Outside ot Time

Postby viva voz » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:44 am

viva voz

Re: Regina Jacobs: Running Outside ot Time

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:33 pm

Great article. Regina really shows us that determination and staying on the program can be beneficial. The lower part about the race tactics from Suzy F.-Hamilton do not really seem like they faze Regina. The end of the race is all that matters. Winning is what matters in that case and Regina has proven far superior.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:06 pm

I think it's great that an almost 40 year old can
run close to the American record in the 1500.
She is really a remarkable "athlete".

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:10 pm

Will she run at the Worlds? I heard her achilles
has been acting up.

Postby viva voz » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:25 pm

>I think it's great that an almost 40 year old
>can
run close to the American record in the
>1500.
She is really a remarkable "athlete".

Johnathan Edwards is only two years younger, & is still among the best triple jumpers. Merlene Ottey is 43, & almost medalled at the world indoor championships. It's not like the U.S. record is great anyway. Your point?
viva voz

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:37 pm

Your comment about Merlene Ottey said it all.

Postby 400guy1 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:15 pm

I may get some crap for this but as far as I'm concerned, I don't consider anyone's achievements that great unless they can perform on the internatonal and olympic levels. Yes she's won 2 world medals but the whole deal of pulling out of Sydney right after she set the AR in the 5k was ridiculous. Respiratory infection three weeks before the games? You just ran the fastest time in the world(?) and you don't give it a shot? It's the olympics...I don't buy it...we'll see another excuse for Athens. Sorry Regina...not a true champion. So let me have it...i don't care.
400guy1

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:00 am

I agree. Some excuse will come up.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:07 am

>I may get some crap for this but as far as I'm
>concerned, I don't consider anyone's achievements
>that great unless they can perform on the
>internatonal and olympic levels. Yes she's won 2
>world medals>>

Yo, bonehead refugee from letsrun (where Regina-bashing is the national sport), if you're going to be critical, at least get your facts straight. Jacobs has won FIVE world championships medals: two golds, two silvers and a bronze. Please cite me any other American distance runner, man or woman, with a record that remotely approaches that.

And I guess the 25 (twentyfriggingfive!) USATF titles she has captured don't mean squat?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:17 am

And I
>guess the 25 (twentyfriggingfive!) USATF titles
>she has captured don't mean squat?

Hey, not all USATF titles are the same. It's quite a bit harder to win the men's 110H than, say, the women's 24-hour title. She does have a habit of peaking early and dropping off when the meets really count (i.e., she still hasn't beaten her sub-4:00 from February), but I'll agree that she's got more accomplishments to point to than any recent American distance runner except KK.

And she doesn't have 25 USATF titles. Some of them were TAC titles. (Boy, am I a nerd.)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:03 am

...so athletes are to be judged not by what they bring to the table but by what others fail to bring...?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:23 am

Please note that Ms. Jacobs has made the same number of Olympic finals as Jim Ryun or St. Pre. Those losers!

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:41 am

Let's see: Lynn Jennings has one Olympic bronze medal, five from world cross (three gold, one silver, one bronze), two from world indoor (one silver, one bronze): that's eight. Count 'em. And she never had those empty excuses Jacobs comes up with. And she has 39 national titles. And she was a competitor who never ever whined or had an excuse on an off day. No viral infections, respiratory infections or conjured injuries.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:51 am

I thank God for runners like Regina Jacobs and Lynn Jennings. Whatever their faults might be (we all have them) they have kept American womens distance running very respectable for a long time now.

Lynn was more a Craig Virgin type, very very tough on the cross country course and very respectable on the track as well and both genuinely nice people to talk to. Regina is more of a Steve Scott, been around for a while, has some solid great races every year, highly respected by all T&F athletes around the world but has trouble peaking or being in the right position come the real big ones (WC and Olys).

Lets be thankful for them (an a few others) or womens distance running could be hitting the lows (in depth at least) that the men are now experiencing.

Postby blacklily » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:02 pm

Hey, not all USATF titles are the same.
>It's quite a bit harder to win the men's 110H
>than, say, the women's 24-hour title. She does
>have a habit of peaking early and dropping off
>when the meets really count (i.e., she still
>hasn't beaten her sub-4:00 from February), but
>I'll agree that she's got more accomplishments
>to point to than any recent American distance
>runner except KK.

And she doesn't have 25
>USATF titles. Some of them were TAC titles.
>(Boy, am I a nerd.)

I agree that not all titles are the same. However, give Jacobs her due on the U.S. title front. She has won in the 800, 1500, 5000, indoor mile, indoor 3000, & in cross country. We ain't talking about the (new) women's steeplechase here.

Didn't TAC merge into USATF, so the TAC titles would basically be USATF titles?
blacklily

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:22 pm

Jennings has 'em at mile and 3000 and 2 mile indoors. She has titles at 3000,5000 and 10,000 outdoors. She has titles at 5k, 8k, 10k, 12k and 15k on the roads. And those 9 cross titles.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:15 pm

Perhaps one reason for Regina's longevity is that when she has become ill, rather than try to run through it, she has allowed herself to get well. Viral infections and asthma are nothing to mess around with. The premise that one should just go for it regardless of one's health is absurd. Severe bronchitis can cause lung scarring which permanently diminishes aerobic capacity.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:28 pm

I agree that not
>all titles are the same. However, give Jacobs her
>due on the U.S. title front. She has won in the
>800, 1500, 5000, indoor mile, indoor 3000, & in
>cross country. We ain't talking about the (new)
>women's steeplechase here.

Maybe we should be, since the reason Regina gave for quitting the world cross team last year was to train for the steeplechase. Looks like she was real serious about that.

Didn't TAC merge
>into USATF, so the TAC titles would basically be
>USATF titles?

Actually, it was simply a name change.