Shadow of Ole Miss eclipses Miss. State yet again

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Shadow of Ole Miss eclipses Miss. State yet again

Postby BillVol » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:58 am

For the billionth time -- but the first time in T&FN that I've ever seen -- poor Mississippi State U. was referred to in the media as "Ole Miss." Ole Miss is the historic nickname of State's hated in-state rival, the U. of Mississippi. This was in the write-up of the women's 1500 m.

Back when the Bulldogs' hoops team made the NCAA Final Four, their coach Richard Williams nearly shot a piston due to all the media referring to his team as Ole Miss or Mississippi.

I find all of this amusing, because nothing gets under the skin of an MSU Bulldog fan more than being referred to as Ole Miss.
BillVol

Re: Shadow of Ole Miss eclipses Miss. State yet again

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:03 pm

Hotty Toddy!
We'd gladly take Ms. McWilliams!!! My old nemisis Coach Dudley wouldn't mind would he?

As a former Rebel Runner, I have little or no sympathy for the media woes on my old rivals.

It should be an honor to be referred to as a Ole Miss Rebel

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:41 pm

So that's what's wrong with you.

Postby BillVol » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:17 am

Ultra, what's the history behind Ole Miss's "Hotty Toddy" cheer? Did you run for Joe Walker, Sr.?

Ole Miss and the city of Oxford, Miss., are really making a comeback. I've seen Oxford listed as being a top place to retire. And your little campus square is becoming quite chic, with all the bookstores and restaurants and shops. In fact, I was watching Great Chefs on TV the other day and they had a chef from a restaurant in Oxford!

Far cry from the early '60s and the James Meredith fiasco, huh?
BillVol

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:54 am

I ran for Coach Gibson (first name escapes me) my freshman year but then ran for Joe Walker, Sr. my Soph, Junior, Senior years. I ran with and shared an apartment with Joe, Jr. (now distance coach at Alabama I think) for a few months.

I haven't gotten back to Oxford in a few years but the town and the Ole Miss campus are great places. I enjoyed my years there. The University, people and town show no resemblence of the terrible thinking that led to the 1960's disgrace. Ole Miss is a great school of higher learning and the people are friendly and love their sports. I have very fond memories of tailgating in "the grove" before home football games.

Glad to see that Coach Walker is still in charge down there in their Track Program. He is very knowledgeable, has trained many top calibre athletes (Mitchell, Dees, Kersh, Nohilly, etc.) and is a good Christian man.